• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MEM Based Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Goose is right, most everything east of the "city of Cordova" has been approved for annexation and the city of Memphis has a long and consistent track record of destroying the schools etc after doing it. You can go into alot od real estate offices and they have maps up on the wall showing the approved and proposed annex areas. If you have kids Cordova High ranks amongst the worst in the country...not me....just the facts from test results and graduation numbers...

For Families:

#1. Collierville--a very familiy oriented town. A favorite for the younger families. My experience is that the majority of new hires move to collierville.

#2. Germantown--This is an older community with older, but very nice and well maintained houses. Schools are good but not a lot of new options for housing. I see a lot of older captains in germantown with older or grown children.

Don't move to cordova unless you wanna play twice the tax and have half the services.

Bartlett is fine, but you are isolated from the major growth corridor.

For single guys:

Down town or mud island are very popular. Also midtown has quite a nice atmosphere. The schools in all these areas are awful...so stay clear if you have kids.

Germantown...hands down

Germantown / Collierville

Germantown has about used up most of the vacant land and there are not a whole lot of new affordable developments going up. Collierville is relatively new and there are new homes popping up everwhere. Something to consider as well... Many of the new developments have NO trees remaining. Might not seem like a big deal until it is 100 degrees plus and your kids want to go out and play. My house in Germantown is surrounded by old/tall oak trees and the entire back yard is shaded for the most part.

As for the drive to the airport. From my G'town house it is about 20 minutes on the Nonconoban. Add about 10+ minutes from C'ville. Fayette county is even farther.

Either way you slice it, for the area, Germantown and Collierville are good areas for families.

Goose17

Its hilarious to fly with guys who do nothing but bash the city but live in Gtown or Collerville and never venture inside the loop. East MEM and Midtown are actually vey nice. Now dont get me wrong, MEM has some terrible parts and some real political and social issues, but dont sell yourself short by not checking it out. We live in Midtown near the U of M and absolutely love our neighborhood. Tons of mature trees, beautiful older homes, lots of interesting things to do (walk to the library, church starbucks, shopping, theater, restraunts, bars ect.) and 9 min to the parking lot. Another plus is that you will not loose money buying inside the loop in a good area. I have a bunch of friends making a killing buying and fixing up in Central Gardens and Cooper young area (cant say the same for Cordova and soon Southhaven, horn lake ect.). But it always comes down to schools. Well, for my money, Whitestation high in east MEM is the best public (and better than some private) school in Shelby county (do the research and go visit).
Anyway. my 2 cents.

Check Arlington!!

We just bought a house in Arlington, which is East of Mem about 20 miles or so on I-40. It is a small town right now, but they are building at an incredible rate. If you don't mind the state income tax, Olive Branch and a few other MS towns are very nice as well.

So I was going to write a nice long description about my observations on Memphis, but words cannot truly describe what it feels like to be there. You must absolutely go and stay there for awhile before you ever consider moving your family there. Perhaps it is the racial problems that plague the progress of the city, the hundreds of homicides or the thousands of uninsured drivers, but there is just something in the air there that will make your sixth sense say "Run, run and don't look back!"
It is true that a lot of the guys that are from there or have family there have found their own little niches in the city (or east of it anyway) but it is best to stay within your walls. There is a reason that 70 percent of FedEx pilots commute.

Good luck to you whatever decision you make...

boost, happy commuter

P.S. If 385 and 240 are jammed up when you visit, then you will want to take Winchester and you can play our favorite game on the way to the airport from the east side of town. All you have to do is count the "check in to cash" places vs. the churches. So far the score is close at 23 to 21, but just try it yourself and let me know what you come up with!

Last edited:
I live in Germantown, which is great, but in hindsight, I agree with Reddie 100%. I moved from SoCal, and am enjoying living here very much. Don't miss SoCals day to day life, but miss running on the beach or in the mountains. Course, didn't do that enough to make the rest worth it.

Latest resources

Back