MEM Based Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TaxiDriver

I have a friend who is looking at taking a job in the MEM area. Does anyone have any recommendations as to where a good area would be to buy a home and raise a family?

Thank you.

Memphis

We have FedEx pilots living all over the area... Bartlett, Cordova, Mud Island, Mississippi, Mid Town, Germantown and Collierville. The majority of the folks live in Germantown or Collierville. Some argue those areas have the best schools. Relatively speaking, you can live more cheaply in Bartlett or Cordova and a comparable house will cost you more in Germantown and Collierville. The I-240 loop is affectionately called the FEBA (Forward Edge of the Battle Area) and you probably want to stay as far away from it as possible. There are exceptions like Mid Town, but it will cost you lots of money and you will probably end up with kids in private school (which a lot of people do in this area anyway).

As the cancer of the inner city spreads, many families are heading east. Non-Memphis areas heading east in order are Germantown, Collierville, county.

Hope that helps.

Goose17

Or try Fayette County, which is just east of Shelby county where Memphis is located. Excellent place to raise a family. Taxes are lower, housing is cheap and you can actually buy land with the house...unlike those zero lot line egg cartons their building all over Cordova.

The public schools suck, but they do everywhere else too. Just send the rug rats to private school.

And to reiterate Goose's comment....if your friend must live in Shelby county, stay as far away from the I-240 loop as possible.

Thanks guys. Do you think Bartlett/Cordova/Collierville are far enough away from I-240?

Also, how do you guys like living in MEM?

My mother is a realtor in Memphis... Im sure she'll be happy to find a good area and help them with their needs..

write me a pm and i will send her phone number.

I'm considering the move to MEM also. Collierville seems to be the best I've seen so far. I've heard Memphis is trying to annex it, any truth to that rumor? Any downside to Collierville, aside from the fact it's near Memphis? I figure if so many other guys live there, it's got to be OK.

Second issue, does anyone commute to a guard/reserve job? I've got to commute to either MEM or my reserve job and I'm not sure what the obstacles are to commuting to a USAFR job, aside from more difficulty staying current. I can't stage from where I live now and the competition for off-line jumpseats is stiff so It'd be easier to live in MEM, I think. Any ideas or inputs?

I recently made the move to MEM and along with a few other Brave souls live smack dab within the FEBA. (South Main) Its not that bad, but a certian book by Joeseph Conrad comes to mind. I wouldn't raise a family here. (I'm not) I commute to the Reserves and find they are a lot more flexible than Big Purple. Its a straight online commute though to a smaller city and the jumpseat is easy to get. The hard part is trying to get there on Sun or Monday, when the flight selection is limited, and the offline NWA flights fill up.

Since I live in MEM and bid reserve, I am home 75% of the time. I get the Reserve stuff done with one 5 day excursion to get 10 pts. Its been working really well.

Anything more than a one leg commute to the Reserves is going to get old real quick, esp when 2nd year pay kicks in.

Memphis is annexing lots of bordering land. They cannot annex bordering independent cities though. Germantown and Collierville are safe. Cordova is being annexed.

We have tons of guys living here and commuting to guard/reserve jobs. Unless it is in a hot spot like Jacksonville or Colorado Springs, you shouldn't have a problem commuting to it

As for living here... I plan to move out next summer. To each his own and there are a ton of arguments for both sides, but I see the big positive for this area is it makes working for FedEx very easy. Beyond that, there are many other places I'd rather live. For me, I would like a house on a nice lake. Not possible near Memphis. Add on the politics, race problems and a few other issues and I look forward to moving. On the flip side, my family and I have lived here for 4 years and I have been home with the familiy much more than a guy commuting with my seniority.

Goose17

PurpleInMEM said:
The public schools suck, but they do everywhere else too. Just send the rug rats to private school.
The quality of the education your child receives is directly proportional to the amount of interest the parents are willing to invest in the process. There are excellent education opportunities in Shelby County Schools, if parents are willing to devote their time and attention to the process.

Simply "send[ing] the rugrats to private school" won't make your children brilliant.

Arlington, Bartlett, Collierville, Germantown, Lakeland, and Millington are individually incorparated in Shelby County, and their schools are part of the Shelby County School system. They will not be annexed by Memphis. Cordova, on the other hand, is not incorporated, and IS at high risk for annexing. In fact, parts of Cordova have already been annexed.

For the country dwellers, there are sections of Shelby County that are set aside as "reserves" for Memphis, Arlington, Bartlett, etc. For example, you might find a parcel of land in the Bartlett reserve area that you like. For now, it is unincorporated Shelby County, no city taxes, schools are Shelby County. IF it is ever annexed, it can only be annexed by Bartlett, in which case it will still be part of the Shelby County School system. It can never be annexed by Memphis.

To review: if you're interested in public schools, do not consider Memphis, or any part of Shelby County that could ever be annexed by Memphis. That leaves quite a selection of locations with a wide variety of scenery and price ranges.

Regardless of where you live, no amount of money will replace parental involvement.

Latest resources

Back