• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MD 82 Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Funny you ask, I was just doing that today in an MD-88 simulator. The answer is 4 and one half degrees nose up. A little bit easier to do in an EFIS airplane by putting the tip of the diamond right on the 5 degree line. It is easier to understand if drawn on a blackboard, but you will see when you get in the airplane. Remember to bump the throttles up .10 EPR to hold speed at 250 when turning through 30 degrees of bank.

Ditto to Typhoon pilot

Typhoon pilot is right on. I will only add that the epr information is more valuable than the pitch setting. If you fly the steep turn just like you did in a Cessna (scan, scan, scan) you'll do just fine on altitude. Maintaining a/s though is a little different and Typhoon got it right. Just note the EPR required to maintain 250 and level, then add one tenth. You'll probabally go from around 1.4 to 1.5. The trick is to not spend too much of your attention on the power setting. I recommend that you try and get a feel of the engine response versus power lever movement sometime earlier in your checkflight. If nothing else, here's how I do it.
After letting the aircraft stabilize at 250kts and 14000ft (or so), I gently begin to roll in the bank and simultaneously push the power levers forward about one half of a knob width, or 3/4". I take one quick glance at the EPR to verify that the engines are accelerating, but do not spend more than a half second looking a the engine gauges. I then return to the attitude indicator and altimeter and finish setting up the bank and pitch while simultaneously trimming nose up for about two seconds. Once I'm sure that the bank and pitch are close, I scan the EPR's to verify that I got the power I want and then scan the a/s to verify 250kts. That all took about three seconds and I'd imaging that you already do something almost exactly like that when you fly a steep turn in your current aircraft. In other words just fly the airplane and you won't have any problem.

Here are a few things to try and see if you can get by with. First, brief the NFP about what you are going to do and when you ask for the normal 15 degree to turn call, tell him that you will ask him to fine tune the power once you make the initial advancement. If the sim check airman lets you get away with this, when you make the initial power lever advance, just call out "set 1.4 EPR". Just make sure you brief it. And of course continue to tune it as dictated by your airspeed.
Next, try and use the autopilot to get the airplane stabil at altitude and airspeed before you beging the turns. I don't know if you will get to use it, but if they'll let you, don't pass over the chance to let that a/p do some of the set up.

Good Luck.
8N

Falcondriver, maybe you missed my question-

Do you have an interview scheduled, or are you in training?

The reason I was aking is that I have MD80 profiles, and I fly for a company that uses the MD83 to screen at interviews, so I was basically trying to figure out how I might help you . . . . but I think you could let some of the other guys on the board here know who is interviewing without jeopardizing your own chances . . . that's what this board is about- sharing info.

Anyway, if you want the MD80 profiles, send me a PM and I'll e-mail 'em to you.

I appreciate your concern for my situtation. I usually like to post information and help other pilots every chance I get but I've been out of work for a long time and don't want to take any chances.
Sorry, if I've upset anyone on this board.
Best of luck to all.
FD

Latest resources

Back