Max age requirments.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for the info.

Thats what I've heard also. At least I knew that was the age for the guard and air force and it makes sense that the navy would be the same. Not sure where the recruiter I talked to got the 27 age, maybe that was from an old source before they raised the limit. I do hear that if you have prior active duty you can go beyond the 30 in certain instances. Check out the military forum on ufly.com. There is a wealth of information on that site concerning age limitations. There are waivers available up to age 33 but from what I hear they are extremely difficult to get and have to go through the squadron commander and up the chain of command through multiple generals. So, you have to have a good reason for the waiver and the unit must show a strong need. I hear the guard is more apt to make exceptions than the regular air force and navy.

Sounds to me like we have a policy that can keep a whole bunch of talented and dedicated people out of these jobs.

What a loss of good manpower.

Timebuilder said:
Sounds to me like we have a policy that can keep a whole bunch of talented and dedicated people out of these jobs.

What a loss of good manpower.

When you have more people applying for positions as pilots than you have manning slots for pilots, you can afford to be selective.

I think the problem is the training slots. You can only push so many people through a UPT/UNT slot at one time. After that, you don't have the airplanes or instructor to train them. There are a lot of positions out there available to you once you are trained, as is indicated by the number of Lts doing Captains jobs, Captains doing Major's jobs, etc....

Originally posted by Timebuilder

Talented yes....dedicated perhaps. Some of the best pilots I know decided to become military pilots after college. (OTS route) But they didn't wait until they were 30.

I think an example of dedication the military wants would be someone who always wanted to fly military. They go to one of the service academies, ROTC or OTS immediately after college.

How motivatered is a 32 year old Lieutenant, new to a squadron, married with kids, having to go overseas for an extended period. OK, lets say very motivated. Now he's 36 and a junior Capt, and is now being sent to Korea. How motivated is he now? There isn't any Little League in Korea. Food for thought.

Lets say he's selected for fighter training. Sustaining 7 gs in a rate fight at 32 years old is not as easy as it is for a 25 year old. I knew a pilot, physically fight, washed out of AT-38, age 35. Couldn't handle the gs. Once you get used to it it's easy, but it can be quite an eye opening experience to first few sorties.

Last edited:
The reason I looked into it myself was I

1) graduated after four years at VFMA

2) had already proved that I could fly

3) knew I wouldn't be there to fly fighters

4) was single and free to go anywhere

5) had a first class medical

Was willing to go active or reserves.

There are a great many of us in our thirties and forties who aren't dead yet...

It seems to me that would leave a lot of room for the 25 year olds to do the 7 G stuff. I see alot of old guys who stay in for a long time, and have current flight status. I know I would have no trouble keeping up with those guys, but the rules say "no".

Latest resources

Back