Max age requirments.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cessna_driver2

I was wondering what the max age requirement was for consideration to pilot training in the ANG, Active duty, or Reserves? I now for a fact in the navy it's 31 without a wavier.

From AFI 36-2205, "APPLYING FOR FLYING AND ASTRONAUT TRAINING PROGRAMS;" Applicants must not exceed 30 years of age and 5 years of Total Active Federal Commissioned Service (TAFCS) by the start date of the board’s first available undergraduate Flying Training (UFT) class.

What this means is that if you are an ROTC or OTS graduate, you can't be past thirty on day one of pilot or navigator training. If you are already a commissioned officer when you apply for flight training, you have the further restriction that you cannot have been an officer for more than five years. Send me a PM if you have any other questions.

Stump

Waivers

I know quite a few guys who got an age waiver with little or no difficulty in the Marine Corps. I would imagine that it would be the same or easier in the other services.

I called the Navy folks at the number indicated on the website for their officer programs. The person looked up the information and told me the age was 19 to 27 waiverable for 4 years with prior active duty. Not sure if this helps and I'm no expert on this but I thought I would pass it along.

Well, I screwed up. The AFI I was referring to is for people already on active duty. I could find nothing on policy for officers coming through the assession sources (ROTC and OTS). I will keep looking though. Sorry for the mixup.

Stump

thanks for the info.

Now I have to be in flight school before I turn 30 correct?

Cessna_driver2,

Yes you are correct you have to start training before your 30th birthday. It is recommended you have the application process started no later that 28 and a half

Latest resources

Back