Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ATRCAPT

Livin' the...dream?
In response to his article concerning the age 60 issue many of us emailed Mr. Twombly and voiced our outrage at his biased and uninformed story. Has anyone else received a reply? Here is the email he sent me:

Not sure how the legislation can be called a pyramid scheme. If makes sense
on the face of it. A pilot who is healthy, fit, able, and willing to work to
age 65 ought to be able to do just that. Airline seniority and union rules
determine the consequences of the rule on younger pilots.

Shame you wouldn't fly with my brother. He is a fine person and an excellent
pilot, unlike the many whiners among professional pilots.

Thanks for taking the time to write.

-Mark Twombly

Make no mistake about it, he just called us "whiners". Again, I encourage everyone to flood this guys inbox and let him know we do not appreciate his name calling.

He can be reached at [email protected]

Fly safe.

For some reason I don't believe you. BTW, what did you send to him, I'm sure it was a respectful letter written by a professional?

Sounds like he said that there are whiners among us. I don't get where he called all of us whiners.

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

This is the email I sent him:

Mark -

The age 65 legislation is nothing more than pyramid scheme. Those at the top (your FEDEX brother) make out like bandits, while their windfall is completely funded by those at the bottom. His comment, "all these young dudes will just have to put up with me for 5 more years....I like that a lot", is typical of what has become known throughout the industry as the "I got mine" mentality. If this is what your brother thinks of his first officers he is probably high on the avoidance bid list. I know I wouldn't fly with him.

I have a bit more sympathy for your brother Steve. The pilots at Delta were absolutely robbed, and it's very unfortunate, but, as your article suggested, luck and timing are everything. Why do I have to be punished with another 5 years in the right seat because of someone else's bad luck? We all rolled the same dice and took the same chance.

Bottom line, your article was not researched thoroughly enough, and printing Gerry's crass comments was in poor taste. It's one thing to discuss this issue among other professionals, but to print a biased story like this in a magazine that caters mostly to GA pilots is irresponsible, and I have terminated my AOPA membership as a result.

I did not resort to name calling, but I did voice my opinion of his piece. I was very surprised by this unprofessional response. If he is going to write an article in a national publication that states any sort of opinion he needs to be prepared for criticism.

Believe me, I couldn't make this up if I tried...why would I want to?

I'm not sure I disbelieve it. Did you read the article Mark Twomby wrote in this month's Pilot magazine. I thought the quotes from his brothers were interesting.

excerpted from "Pilotage: Five More Years" by Mark Twomby, AOPA Pilot magazine

He has two brothers Gerry at FDX and Steven at DAL. only parts are quoted, if you want to read the whole thing, join AOPA and go here http://www.aopa.org/members/files/pilot/2008/mrt0802.html

Gerry would have 21 years at FedEx if he had to retire at age 60
Gerry has always hoped the Age-60 rule would fall in time for him to benefit—now it has. He’s a happy guy. “All these young dudes, they’ll just have to put up with me for another five years,” he laughs. “I like that. I like that a lot.”

Steven, on the other hand, initially was not a proponent of changing the rule.
However, extending the mandatory retirement age to 65 would have resulted in a far greater impact on his pension if he left before reaching age 60, so he was “totally against” changing the rule.
So, with no pension subject to a change to an Age-65 rule, he no longer had a reason to oppose it. In fact, the new rule works in his favor. “I’m totally for it,” he says. “It’s given me the option. I can choose to stay and continue to work, but if there is not a monetary reason to stay, I can leave without any financial penalties.”

There is more to the article, obviously, but I was stuck by how his brothers sounded in some of the quotes. I suspect he didn't have them proof read his article before it went to print and that they might not be all that happy with how it turned out.

Anyway, I can believe that someone who wrote that article putting his two brothers names in print with basically a 'hey, it is good for me, screw the younger guys' attitude might think that pilots who don't like it are whiners.

I wrote him a very civilized response as well and have heard nothing. Heightens my distaste for AOPA even more.

No one who reads AOPA really cares how you feel. All they care about is:

1. No user fees for GA and
2. Hey, I paid my $39 for this airline seat, I know how to get us there if you cant...

Latest resources

Back