Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Malaysian 777 enroute to Beijing missing!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I listened to CNN's Richard Quest (supposed expert) and he contradicted himself during the broadcast, he showed the sequence with him in the cockpit with the FO while flying (how does Richard get permission to site in the cockpit during the flight) and he said he was an experienced FO, less that a minute later he called him an inexperienced FO. Richard needs a good does of realism and not trying to look pretty spouting off inaccuracy's about pilots and aircraft - just (English)drivel

In the segment I watched he said the FO was experienced but new to the 777.

Very shallow water over the gulf. Unlike the Air France accident. I remember something about a USAF jet going into the great salt lake, they new where it went and still took a long time to find it, buried itself in the sediment.

But, this is just weird its taking this long to ID a point.

This Malaysian flight was a codeshare with China Southern Air, China's largest airline. If this was a terrorist act, maybe the Iranian agent who bought the tickets thought that this was a China Southern flight.

I listened to CNN's Richard Quest (supposed expert) and he contradicted himself during the broadcast, he showed the sequence with him in the cockpit with the FO while flying (how does Richard get permission to site in the cockpit during the flight) and he said he was an experienced FO, less that a minute later he called him an inexperienced FO. Richard needs a good does of realism and not trying to look pretty spouting off inaccuracy's about pilots and aircraft - just (English)drivel

To answer your question about how he got permission to sit in the flight deck - foreign carriers are not subject to the same policies and restrictions we have in the US. Buy an ID/ZED ticket on a foreign carrier and there is a possibility of riding in the flight deck if all the seats are full. They will even do it in and out of US cities. I watched a foreign carrier put two non-revs in the flight deck on a flight out of SFO to Europe just a few months ago. One of the non-revs was the child of a ramp worker, the other was a retired ticket agent. I have sat up front on a flight in Europe (a Blue1 717) and was offered the seat before they knew I was a pilot. So I do not think it is unusual that a member of the media would be granted permission by a foreign airline to ride in the flight deck for a news segment.

If this end up been a terrorist act, i hope the clowns in DC rethink about opening customs in that part of the world....

what can i say idiots total idiots that what I would have call them and I hopethe american public not just ALPA and pilots call the news stations and bitch about it.

what if this was a practice run

I was just wondering if the 777 has an automatic emergency descent mode.

New reports indicate that the plane flew 500 miles west and descended 1000 meters with the transponder off and no contact. That seems to generate two possibilities:

1. That the plane had a sudden decompression and the crew did not get their masks on in time or

2. That one of the crew members had the plane under control and flew it into the Strait of Malacca.

Any thoughts?

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...-off-course-from-last-point-of-radio-contact/

I would think that having customs and immigration overseas would make things safer. More scrutiny BEFORE getting on the aircraft.

I was just wondering if the 777 has an automatic emergency descent mode.

New reports indicate that the plane flew 500 miles west and descended 1000 meters with the transponder off and no contact. That seems to generate two possibilities:

1. That the plane had a sudden decompression and the crew did not get their masks on in time or

2. That one of the crew members had the plane under control and flew it into the Strait of Malacca.

Any thoughts?

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...-off-course-from-last-point-of-radio-contact/

I gotta kill theory number one....an explosive D doesn't shut the transponder off.

Looks more and more like air piracy. A turn off course while turning off the Transponder and ACARS and probably dropping to a low altitude. Be interesting to see what the range would be with FOB.

Someone knew exactly what they were doing.

The information coming out of Malaysia is a mess. The head of the Air Force is reported saying it was on radar over the Strait of Malacca, then denies saying it. Then another unnamed source from the Air Force confirms the report while the civilian government says they have never been briefed on it. It is hard enough to find wreckage even if you know exactly where it went down. It will be virtually impossible if the Malaysians cannot even figure out whether the Air Force is telling the truth or not. I imagine the Chinese are getting pretty angry at the Malaysian government over the conflicting reports.

PS- Apparently the Vietnamese are fed up. They are now suspending their search until Malaysia provides clarity about what exactly they know. The Vietnamese Transport minister has asked Malaysia twice to provide clarity but the Malaysians are not responding. What a mess.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back