Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Malaysian 777 enroute to Beijing missing!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Could be....! If you take 10 min of taxi time for departure and 45-50 min of flight it will place it right on that area!

Will see I guess.

This is all extremely puzzling to me, the reports are that ATC and the company lost contact at roughly 2 hours into the flight, but the suspected area is about 400NM from Kuala Lumpur???? That's 40 minutes or so into the flight (specially with the prevailing winds that evening) in a 4:50 flight planned, 2 hours into it they would be NE of the Vietnam coast talking to Sanja and being handover to Hong Kong?????

They show the flight on flight tracker. How accurate would flight tracker be, in that part of the world ?

CNN's Richard Quest was recently filming with Malaysian Airlines for CNN Business Travel and flew in the flight deck with the accident FO. He said he also believes, but it has not been confirmed, it was the same captain as well. Doubtful that it played a role in this accident but at the time of filming in the second half of February the FO was on OE after transitioning from another type.

Does seem to be a strong case for some type of terrorism, and they are looking at the 2 stolen passports and who was really using them. It is hard to imagine a scenario wheee the plane could just vanish..no distress call, no acars messages etc..

This is all extremely puzzling to me, the reports are that ATC and the company lost contact at roughly 2 hours into the flight, but the suspected area is about 400NM from Kuala Lumpur???? That's 40 minutes or so into the flight (specially with the prevailing winds that evening) in a 4:50 flight planned, 2 hours into it they would be NE of the Vietnam coast talking to Sanja and being handover to Hong Kong?????

I just read somewhere on the internet, so it must be true, that the press is screwing up the flight time. The plane crossed a time zone confusing people. The plane was actually only airborne for about an hour. That would corroborate your thoughts.

With such a large amount of Chinese onboard, maybe this attack is connected to the Muslim Uighur separatists who unleashed a deadly attack last week in the Yunnan region of China. This area happens to be along the flight path to Beijing and just left of course. 29 killed and 130 wounded... pretty high count for knife work! Its also been reported that the two stolen passports bought their tickets together from China Southern with contiguous ticket numbers.

With such a large amount of Chinese onboard, maybe this attack is connected to the Muslim Uighur separatists who unleashed a deadly attack last week in the Yunnan region of China. This area happens to be along the flight path to Beijing and just left of course. 29 killed and 130 wounded... pretty high count for knife work! Its also been reported that the two stolen passports bought their tickets together from China Southern with contiguous ticket numbers.

I thought exactly the same thing, that the Chinese passengers were the targets here....., some reports on CNN about radar data suggesting that the A/C had reversed course and seem to be returning to KL???? This just adds to the mystery.....!

I don't think the plane reversed course, but it had turned at the last data point from 025 track to 040 track. Now, I need to see what route they filed, because this turn occurred over a fix - from Aviation-safety.net: "Data of flight tracking website Flightradar24 suggest that the flight flew a 25? course towards the IGARI waypoint. Overhead IGARI, at 02:20, the flight changed course to 40?. Last contact recorded by Flightradar24 was at 02:20 at 175 km NNE off the Malaysian coast and 223 km SW off the Vietnamese coast, approximately at the border of the Singapore and the Ho Chi Minh FIR."

The airways DO turn at that point, so the last radar track could have been mid-turn as they were intercepting M765. JUST speculation, but at least I am looking at a chart.

From Avherald.com : "According to the states run Chinese news agency Xinhua Chinese police established that one of the Chinese passengers listed on the manifest never left China, is still at home and in possession of his passport, therefore was not on the accident flight. The passenger's passport had not been lost or stolen, the numbers on his passport and the passport number noted on the manifest are identical however."

Latest resources

Back