• Start date
  • Watchers 18

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You might not realize it, but that chip on your shoulder is OBVIOUS, whether you are crying about women, minorities, or type ratings. Just trying to help. :)

Umm....WTF?

You want to stand out? Change your name to Shaneequa Longfeather Rodriguez and get involved in as many LGTB community events as you can. Flying is no longer important. Just get the mins.

Sad but true. Seriously though.... apparently, someone needs a hug!:laugh:

My hope for this thread is that it turns into a rough checklist for myself and others trying to get on with a major airline. We are at the beginning of what promises to be a huge hiring boom but how do we standout to hiring software programs and H.R. departments?

For example:

A four year degree is needed but does a masters make a difference?

What kind of flight time makes someone competitive?

Is 121 experience important? Or will 135 and 91k work just as well?

Is it like the corporate world where civic involvement matters?

If someone buys a 737 type on the off chance SWA calls do they hurt their chances with the other carriers?

Any information would help,

Pick up a copy of the ALPA magazine and grow a moustache just like the guys in Hearndon. If you cannot grow a moustache like that, go out and buy one

Sad but true. Seriously though.... apparently, someone needs a hug!:laugh:

Hugs? Is there an LGTB event for me to attend!?!? All kidding aside, HR has taken a more active role in the hiring of pilots at many companies (vs chief pilots) and they have different criteria. Just being a pilot with a great record is not going to cut the mustard for a few years.

Good lord-

Yeah, social politics aside- that's not a good assessment in te beginning of what ought to be a long hiring wave.

You guys don't sound like you have a chip on your shoulder- you just sound entitled with a penchant for excuses. 82% of all airline pilots are white males.

And somehow it's girls, gays, and minorities fault if you don't get a job as quick as you'd like??

Please. The world belongs to you.

For the op- there are basics- 121 turbine pic- jet is better, check airman and special projects best. But every airline has subtle differences. Research that and DO NOT TRUST THOSE WHO DO NOT HAVE A DIRECT CONNECTION WITH THE CURRENT HIRING DEPARTMENT.
As much as you may love throwing down a beer with your mentors, chances are rye know just enough to sound confident. And lead you into a making a mistake that could derail you. You might not like them- get to a job fair and hear it straight from the recruiters mouths.

Then network. Have humble business cards on you all the time and quick access to your resume.
And then network some more.

Rules: be a pro first- none of this career student stuff means anything if you're a pain in the ass to fly with, incompetent, or don't have the respect of your peers. Work work and be cool and genuinely humble so that when your number is called people are lining up to recommend you deal direct with the decision makers at least once and as much as possible. Build genuine relationships with pilots who are where you want to be.

I'd hit the love button for this too.

Good lord-

You guys don't sound like you have a chip on your shoulder- you just sound entitled with a penchant for excuses. 82% of all airline pilots are white males.

And somehow it's girls, gays, and minorities fault if you don't get a job as quick as you'd like??

Please. The world belongs to you.

Lighten up Francis. You assume too much, have no sense of humor and must be a bore to fly with. There. How do you like my assuming? Now pull that iron rod out of your butt (no gay implications) and write something interesting.

Lighten up Francis. You assume too much, have no sense of humor and must be a bore to fly with. There. How do you like my assuming? Now pull that iron rod out of your butt (no gay implications) and write something interesting.

Hey he's just trying to be helpful because some of you guys do come across as "pain in the ass to fly with". The attitudes you write here will come out in an interview no matter how hard you try to hide it.

Latest resources

Back