Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
G

grounded92

My hope for this thread is that it turns into a rough checklist for myself and others trying to get on with a major airline. We are at the beginning of what promises to be a huge hiring boom but how do we standout to hiring software programs and H.R. departments?

For example:

A four year degree is needed but does a masters make a difference?

What kind of flight time makes someone competitive?

Is 121 experience important? Or will 135 and 91k work just as well?

Is it like the corporate world where civic involvement matters?

If someone buys a 737 type on the off chance SWA calls do they hurt their chances with the other carriers?

Any information would help,

My hope for this thread is that it turns into a rough checklist for myself and others trying to get on with a major airline. We are at the beginning of what promises to be a huge hiring boom but how do we standout to hiring software programs and H.R. departments?

For example:

If someone buys a 737 type on the off chance SWA calls do they hurt their chances with the other carriers?

You want to stand out? Change your name to Shaneequa Longfeather Rodriguez and get involved in as many LGTB community events as you can. Flying is no longer important. Just get the mins.

You want to stand out? Change your name to Shaneequa Longfeather Rodriguez and get involved in as many LGTB community events as you can. Flying is no longer important. Just get the mins.

Zzzziiingg!!!! You aren't from Duck Dynasty, are you? :D

box

There just needs to be a love button for this!!

For example:

If that is you in the picture, brush your hair a bit and get a haircut if you can.:D

For example:

Don't waste time on a masters degree. Get 1000hrs of Part 121 PIC Turbine, preferably in a glass cockpit t-jet, but 121 PIC turboprop works in a pinch.

Building houses with Habitat for Humanity won't get you hired at AA/DL/UA, but being golf/drinking buddies with the chief pilot at one of those places will do wonders for your resume.

Don't buy a 737 type unless you have already passed the interview with Southwest.

You might not realize it, but that chip on your shoulder is OBVIOUS, whether you are crying about women, minorities, or type ratings. Just trying to help. :)

The faster the hiring, the fewer the necessary qualifications. When times are tough airlines use things like the 4 year degree, etc. as a tool to weed folks out. When hiring is hot and heavy the 4 year degree carries less weight. Still, I would try to be in a position to check as many boxes as you can. College, PIC, jet time, 121, check airman. Sadly, I also have to agree with poster Mamma above. Being a female or a minority sends you right to the head of the line no matter your experience level.

FFFO, your post makes no sense. Flyby 1206 has a chip on his shoulder? Wtf are you talking about.

Latest resources

Back