• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Lots to consider....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good advice I must say. But I'll add another thing you might want to consider. Think about staying beyond twelve months so you can be off of probation. It can raise questions with future employers if you leave prior to completing probation. Also, when you do go back to school, you'll have a chunk of multiengine turbine experience under your belt, so maybe part-time flying jobs will be easier to get, maybe an IFR part 135 PIC job would work out. I'm doing the online degree thing right now myself. It's not bad if you give yourself deadlines to get things done and stay enrolled in courses. But you know yourself better than anyone. Good luck, and let me know if you need anymore of my twisted Kazakhstani advice.

B1900FO said:
... I had much much more experience then the other guys in my class. Out of the new hires, I had the most hours.

At 900 hours, you have almost three times as much experience as my dad did when he was hired by a MAJOR airline. Back in the day. :D The operating environment is a lot more complex now, and we all expect F/Os to be part of a true two-pilot crew (as opposed to "Gear up, flaps up, shut up"). So geezers like me complain about low-time newhires.

Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. Tough it out for a while, and don't let yourself get too rattled by the bad training experience. You will have much more fun, and better training, on the line.

The gypsy catcher is probably right -- you might want to consider staying until you're off probation.

Fly the line and get an idea of the job before you go back to school. If you really like it, then maybe you will WANT to return after you finish school, and you will have some extra time in the logbook to look more competitive when you do return. I would stay flying and eventually get senior on the plane and go back to school part time. Maybe you could fly Weekends and try to take classes a couple or three times during the work week. Maybe you could drop a couple trips per month and help out your schedule. But ultimately, fly the IOE, show up prepared and know the ramp frequencies etc for each out station you go to beforehand, and have a good attitude. There are jerks at every airline, but not all of them are jerks.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Beech, #1 Is there a contract. #2 You got this far go fly the beech by hand for a while. You will gain invaluble exp. #3 Go to college on-line when you are sitting in your crashpad while sitting rsv and use there time as your college time. By the way the 1900 is a blast.

It would only look bad if you put it on your resume as having worked there. Why would you put a place you spent 3 weeks at on your resume?

If you really want to begin your flying career without the degree do it with the knowledge that it may be the place you stay for whatever reason. If you can finish school you have a whole new world of options out there and the places that browbeat 900 hour guys in training will still be there 3 years from now.

B1900FO said:
Thanks Blucher!

Fly long enough to get some hot chicks...and then quit.

B1900FO said:
Hey all...I just finished training as a B1900 FO, getting ready to start I.O.E., expcept I had a somewhat negative training experience (asshole instructors) and it has put a bad taste into my mouth about the commuter gig, especially at this airline. I have 900 hours and close to 100 multi. I am 20 years old and have not finished my degree. I have strongly considered going back to school and finishing my degree and building up some more time during school. I really don't want to go back to start IOE even. If I were to quit, would it look bad to the next employer? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

QUITTER!!!!!! Suck it up and be a man/women. Are you going to quit every job that they dont treat you like gods gift to aviation? Maybe it was not the instructor maybe you just suck. If that it is the case please quit it just might save the lives of 19 people. Well 21 if you count the capt. and a lap child.

Last edited:
There's at least one axe grinding instructor at EVERY airline. You just happen to get the one at your's. A few years back at ACA about half the instructors were axe grinders. My experience has been that usually the abusive instructors are the ones that are bitter because they never made it to a major and they take it out on their co-workers in the sim.

No one likes it but just jump through the hoops, nod your head while they talk their crap and get out of the sim and go home.

I knew of a few grumpy old instructors at my A+P school, they were just out to weed out those who were not serious about getting the cert.

Latest resources

Back