LOT Gear Up landing. WOW

gutshotdraw

ZERT Wilson CQB User
Total Time
Read the article carefully.

That was a great job by the "operators" who attempted to get the gear down.

"Operators."

"One moment please while I connect your call to the department of SHOW THE FRIGGING PILOTS SOME RESPECT..."

Sorry. Rant over. I feel better now.

Dash8don

Reserve Dog
Total Time
Lots
Move on, nothing to see here except a Polish landing! :laugh:

(In all seriousness, kudos to the pilots, nice work.) :beer:

i fly boxes

Total Time
Sto-Lat!!!!!!!! Somebody get that man a vodka! Did I hear his name was Chelszcky Sulenburski?

Dumb Pilot

Total Time
Well, that is the end of the "How does a pollack knows he landed with the gear up" joke. Very well executed, I for one would like to know the details as to why also the alternate system failed, there were several minds dealing with this since they were in contact with their maintenance department as well, quite a puzzling event. But whatever the circumstances behind the cause of the event may be, one thing we cannot deny is that the gear up landing portion was done brilliantly

JimNtexas

Total Time
I wonder how long it will take to clear that runway.

Am I correct in supposing they'll probably be able to lift the airplane with those huge airbags and pull the gear down?

kf4amu

Total Time
I wonder how long it will take to clear that runway.

Am I correct in supposing they'll probably be able to lift the airplane with those huge airbags and pull the gear down?
Airbags can be used to lift astronomically huge payloads. 100 psi across a 36X36 bag is 129,600 pounds of lifting force. Meaning...a simple garage compressor most of us probably own can supply a 3 foot by 3 foot airbag with enough force to lift many fully loaded airplanes by itself...but obviously the balance would be off so you would use multiple bags for stability.

Whether they use them or not depends on who's doing it. A crane with large straps might do it...depends on many variables.

AKAAB

Total Time
20K+
RAT Probe heat operating on the ground in EWR and not troubleshot properly? Place your bets...

dicko

"It's a formidable scent"
Total Time
10k ?
AP Article today on Yahoo finance stated that "the planes central hydraulic system failed a half-hour into the flight" from Newark.

dicko

"It's a formidable scent"
Total Time
10k ?
Yet they crossed the ocean like that.....
Apparently. Without being qualified on the 76 ER, ETOPS, NAT requirements or the LOT Ops Specs it's difficult to comment.

The press is reporting that the Captains last name translated into English means "The Crow". He can certainly land.

Dumb Pilot

Total Time
You do have redundancy with two systems available, one hydraulic system out is not an emergency nor cause to divert. This was a non event until they activated the alternate gear extension and nothing happened, their though process wasn't at all one of doing a belly landing but rather at what weight they were going to do a flaps 20 landing, go back or do it 70,000lbs lighter.

airplane wizard

Total Time
some
You do have redundancy with two systems available, one hydraulic system out is not an emergency nor cause to divert. This was a non event until they activated the alternate gear extension and nothing happened, their though process wasn't at all one of doing a belly landing but rather at what weight they were going to do a flaps 20 landing, go back or do it 70,000lbs lighter.

What happens if you lose the other system?

Does the alternate system electrically unlatch the doors and the gear then "falls" down, or is it hydraulic too?

btw, how is the 787 working for you guys? Many tech issues?

Thanks