Looking for an old Politically Incorrect UAL poem

user912

Total Time
10800+
Back in the late nineties /early 2000; definitely pre-9/11 there was a popular poem going around on the old AOL aviation boards. Affirmative Action hiring was what everyone was talking about when they had nothing else to talk about.

This poem was told from the perspective of a self deprecating female pilot. She said United hired Debbie, Tyrone, and Abdul Raheet. It concluded with her saying that she lost an engine on take off and the plane veered left and right until the day was saved by her captain who used to be a freight dawg (how'd he get hired if the rest was true?)

Anyhoo. Can't find it anymore but it would be a useful history lesson if anyone has it.

maru657

Total Time
>15000
The many crashes of United were piloted by ex-military pilots.

user912

Total Time
10800+
Yes, also Delta and more recently FedEx.
I'm not trying to debate the merits of hiring any group here. Just documenting attitudes

Ty Webb

Hostage to Fortune
Total Time
11000+
The responses to this inquiry are the reason we can't have nice things.

P.S., UAL almost lost a 747 on takeoff from SFO after an engine failed and the female FO got within about 150' of terrain. I doubt she was military, she probably would have been a competent pilot. . . . and, no, I'm not ex-military.

maru657

Total Time
>15000
Yes but a lot of pilots used to say you could cross the Rockies on a pogo stick just jumping from one united crash site to another.

doh

Jump seat shrink
Total Time
48 yrs
Morbid curiosity has me wanting to read it as well.

glasspilot1

Total Time
Yep, that's it. I have it saved from years ago but User 912 never responded to my PM request in post #6. When I first read it years ago it struck a nerve with me. In the mid/late 80's I was at a "commuter" (as they were called then) trying hard to get the big major job. I was a Capt on the Metroliner and flew with many low time new-hires. More times than I can count they were back out the door (very often, United) while I just struggled to land an interview. I did eventually get my big job and it worked out well for me.

Flightbag

Total Time
30000+
The responses to this inquiry are the reason we can't have nice things.

P.S., UAL almost lost a 747 on takeoff from SFO after an engine failed and the female FO got within about 150' of terrain. I doubt she was military, she probably would have been a competent pilot. . . . and, no, I'm not ex-military.
Wow! It wasn't a female FO. It was an ex military, ex TWA male FO. And yes, depending on who you ask, the 747 came within 5 to 150 feet of Mt. San Bruno. That event was so egregious United retrained the whole seniority list on non standard engine out procedures.

Hope this helps.

user912

Total Time
10800+
It was a military F/0 who broke the fin off the AA Airbus. That's quite a contrast to the stories that abound about civilian females.
glasspilot1: There was nothing in my box

Flightbag

Total Time
30000+
It was a military F/0 who broke the fin off the AA Airbus. That's quite a contrast to the stories that abound about civilian females.
glasspilot1: There was nothing in my box
I think the stories about civilian females are more a testament about those that tell them than it is about civilian females.

user912

Total Time
10800+
I think the stories about civilian females are more a testament about those that tell them than it is about civilian females.
I think the fact that they’ll get you canned faster than a Holocaust joke and people will only share them privately tells you there’s something to them.