• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Looking for A Great Plane...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do you want fast or slow? Aerobatic? RV-4 will do all. 185 MPH cruise at 8 GPH or 130 at 5 GPH. Aerobatic, and fantastic handling qualities. Short field performance. Not a lot of room in the back and touchy on CG, so only good if your pax are not big bubba types. There's an RV-4 project for sale on Barnstormers.com for 16,000. Looks about half done.

For a little more you can build an RV-7, match-hole construction.

RVs are fantastic airplanes.

UPDATE: WOOOOPS -- glanced over your, "floats option" requirement. Well, there was a guy who just finished an RV-7 on floats. There's Video of it on the EAA website. Looks like it has a tendency to PIO when landing on the water, or maybe it's just the pilot.

I've got an itch, and I need to scratch. I want to build a plane, and I need it to meet certain requirements.

Here it is:
-Must seat more than one.
-Must have floats option.
-Must be a FAIRLY simple project (1500-2000 hours max)
-Must be fairly inexpensive ($20,000 w/out engine & instruments)

I know that this is a pipe dream, but if you know of something that meets all or most of the "requirements", please do tell!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Shy

Last edited:
The CH-701 looks like a great plane but it does not have as much room inside as it looks. The fuselage narrows in front of the seats, so your legs start getting pushed toward the center of the aircraft. The Kitfox is a decent size plane with plenty of baggage space, and the Rebel is the largest of the three in terms of interior space. Before you make a decision I would highly recommend trying on each of your finalists for size; I'm glad I did. Haven't made the purchase yet but seeing the planes in person helped me eliminate a couple top contenders.

I used to work for the RANS Company and really like their planes. The S-7 if you are looking for that cub look. Sweet flying plane. I also like the S-6 for the side by side and the fact it can be a tailwheel or trike. Floats or amphibious floats if you like. Funnest job I ever had!!

Latest resources

Back