• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Logging King Air 200 time?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just to let you guys know this operation has had copilots for about 6 years now. All young time builders. Everyone of them has either went to the regionals or factionals. Trust me 500 hours flying left seat or right in the king air with and MEI/cheif pilot in the right seat is a heck of a lot better than doing VFR instruction in a 152 at my local airport. We fly this King Air IFR all kinds of weather into the busiest airspaces in the world. My captain was a cheif pilot for a commuter and he has us do everything to the book. I perform everything a right seat guy in a beech 1900 or king air 350 would.. Pluis I get time in the left seat doing ALL the flying.. And the FARs say that is completely legal to log..I have all the FAA requirements to fly that aircraft..Any recruiter in his right mind would like to see this kind of experience.

Just curious, does anyone else get kicked off while formulating a reply, have to reregister and lose their composition? Maybe I'm too longwinded or inept at computers, I don't know. It's happened more than once.

Anyway, A SQUARED, you are correct. I agree that the FARs are very clear, especially in this case. If the aircraft type cert. or regulations don't require it, you can't log SIC.

I guess my statement was about the situation in general more than SIC.

Airludy, it's your decision. You can log it however you choose but know who you are trying to please and how you are going to explain it if asked. In my understanding the airlines view the FAR part 1 as the definition of PIC. The captain could be sleeping in the back and he is still the PIC. It's his choice and his arse on the line if the s___ hits the fan.

Ask your buddies how they logged it and how they explained it to the regional if they were asked. If it looks like you are going to be doing this gig for awhile, learn the aircraft and log it PIC. Research the jobs you are trying to get.

One last question. If the captain dropped dead at show time could you complete the trip without him as safely as you could with him along?

It's a hard choice and just don't do anything that you are going to regret.

YES! If the captain dropped dead I could fly it.. I had to go through their own little training course to get this job.. I went through a small ground school and had videos and manuals to study, then a test on the airplane I had to take. And guys I never said anything about logging it as SIC.. FARs part 91 "sole manipulater of the controls.. I have a high altitude endorsement, mutiengine commercial rating, and high performance rating. If I am flying, I am flying. If I won the lottery tomorrow and bought a King Air 200 I could fly it and would. We are talking about a King Air here, not a Citation X. This plane is yes more complicated than say a Seneca V, but it is not that hard to learn...

Viking,

The 5 hour rule only applies if you are giving instruction for a rating. I used to give Instrument Competancy Checks in twins I had no time in...

There is a BE-200 type rating but it is only required to fly the over 12,500 models which were mostly sold for military use. However there are some in civilian service.

Can't you get a combined 300/350/1900 rating? And would that apply to the >12,500 BE-200's? Inquiring minds want to know....

I know for sure the King Air 300/350 and the Beech 1900 type are different requireing seperate type rides. but a t one time they were considered the same, I think this was before the 1900D was introduced at taht point I beleive was wneh the FAA decided to break up the types.I don't know of any 200's in civilian use for over 12500 only for military use i.e. c-12's. Yes a qulaified aircraft commander in the military can get a king air 200 type rating based on this but in a practical sense it is unneeded because for civilian apps the kingair 200 doesn't need a type to fly.

I don't think that you need a type for the 200's over 12.5. The place I used to fly had a research 200 that had the increased gross weight up to 14500 and it didn't require a type to fly.

I logged PIC in the 200 from the right seat. I had logged taining in the airplane and the high alt. endorsement. So the leggs I flew, which was most, I logged PIC. But it is a grey area in the acting and logging area. Just be prepared to explain, plain and simple.

If you are the sole manipulator, but not the PIC on the paperwork, how can the other person log the time, when it is a pt 91 single pilot op, and he's not touching the controls?

The majors will only accept PIC time if you were the one with your name on the paperwork, or in the case of part 91, the insurance.

You may never get asked about it in the interview but that is how it was defined on every application that I ever saw.

Legal for the feds, the airlines have their own rules. Sole manipulator doesn't cut it for them. You HAVE to be the one responsible for the airplane.

Both the Commuter and Major I worked for treated it this way.

Latest resources

Back