Logging King Air 200 time?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

airludy

I have a job as a crew member on a King Air 200. Its a part 91 operation and they require two pilots even though the airplane is a single pilot aircraft. I am not covered on the issurance so I cannot make flight by myself withouth the cheif pilot with me of course. Since it is part 91 I get to sit in the left seat very often and fly. I even do tons of flying from the right seat. My question is how will the regionals or corporations look at these hours?? I also have a flight instructing job. Right now I have about 800 hours with 250 mutil about 150 in the King Air 200. They way I look at it is that, I have gained much experience flying this aircraft.. Turbine, busy airspace, high altitude... I was amazed at how much I have been learning from this experience..More real world flying compared to instructing in my 172.. Could I please have some input on the vaule or this job and how the airlines and other companys will look at this.. Thank you

BE20 time

If you're the sole manipulator of the controls and multi-rated, you're ok to log PIC in the BE20 just as much as a Senecca. However...if the chief pilot is designated as PIC on paperwork if any, don't log it, there's only one PIC. You'll have to defend this time later by knowing this airplane inside and out if you do log PIC in it.

Do not however log any SIC time as a part91 operator as it's a single pilot airplane. If you're not required as part of a part 135 ops spec. this would not be legal.

Hope it helps, it's a messy subject.

KingAir 200

I can't remember. Does a BE-200 require a type rating? Not that it really matters for the purpose of this discussion, except that if it does I'd be REALLY careful about logging the time.

Badger is dead on about how this is a messy subject.

This is a fairly common situation and its entirely up to you. The King Air 200 does not require a type rating nor two pilots. Part 135 with two pilot requirements you could log SIC but this is part 91 so the rules get gray.

I had a similar situation flying a conquest, which I now fly as captain. My way to log it was as dual received because the captain was an MEI, in my opinion this is the best way.

If you log PIC as the sole manipulator you must as previously mentioned be able to answer any and all questions about the aircraft by an interviewer. Know all the memory checklists (for emergency), systems etc. It's a shame but if you don't want to get into trouble later it's best not to log it as SIC or PIC but take the experience for what it is, experience. Hopefully the Captain is an instructor.

I fly in a two crew situation now and alternate trips. When I sit right seat I don't log anything so I lose out on about 1/2 of the turbine time I could have. I don't log dual anymore because I'm on the insurance and have been to FSI etc. In my mind it's the safest thing to do and the only regret I have is learning to be patient.

That's my take, lots of luck.

If you are sole manipulator of the controls log it as pic. When it's not your leg to fly log it as multi-turbine time but don't log the pic or sic row, just total time. You can explain this at an interview if they ask. All you have to do is log time according to the FARs and you cannot be faulted for your entries. Some people might not like the way you log time but you would be technically correct. Afterall, you won't get a chance to defend your entries if you don't get an interview due to lack of multi time.

Don't go there

Be careful with the BE-200 SIC time, it sounds like you have no formal training program, you have not taken a check ride and you are not on the insurance. You are basically a passenger in the front seat. Even thought you can legally log PIC, any recruiter is going to recognize you are not really the PIC. No one owning a 1M airplane lets people be PIC's without formal training.
You might be better off logging it as observer time and be straight forward with the recrutiter about the valuable expereince you got in the ride along program. To try and put one by on your resume to a recrutier could be the kiss of death. Possibly the CP is a CFMEI could give you dual which you could log. But what does 500 MEI dual look like on a resume?

If the BE-200 doesn't require a type rating you will certainly need a high altitude endorsement to fly as PIC. Also, if you have an MEI with 5 hours PIC in make and model, you can log it as PIC giving dual instruction under part 91. Just make sure the other guys logbook is endorsed as well. As a CFII you can give instrument instruction as well in an "airplane".
I think the problem arises when both of you log PIC. This shouldn't be a problem though if one of you holds a CFI for instrument-airplane or multi-engine land.
The only other way to log PIC in a single pilot aircraft is to be a safety pilot as required by the FAR's. In other words, someone has to be under the hood.

Note- I am not an expert on logging flight time. I am just trying to interpret the FAR's, which is no easy task.

By the way, FAR part 1 spells out the definition of Pilot in Command. I don't see it mentioning "sole manipulator of the controls".

I agree with Speedtree. I did the same thing, in a 200, and logged it as dual received. I really did not know the AC, and was really recieving dual in it.

Speed tree,

>>>.......this is part 91 so the rules get gray.

It doesn't get grey at all. If it's part 91 and it's a one pilot airplane, you're not legal to log SIC. It's about as black and white as it gets

Viking,

>>>>>>By the way, FAR part 1 spells out the definition of Pilot in Command. I don't see it mentioning "sole manipulator of the controls".

You're right, you won't, you will however see it
61.51(e) regarding logging of PIC time.

The there's a differnce betweedn ACTING as PIC and LOGGING PIC. You may log PIC when you are not actually acting as PIC.

Regards

I got 500 hours this way early in my career. The secret is to keep it in a seperate column under "Part 61 PIC." If a company doesn't specify, use the time. If (like FDX) they do specify the Part 1 definition, leave it out.

If you have the bucks it wouldn't hurt to go down to Simuflite or somewhere and go through King-Aire initial. That would help with what your trying to do.

Being unable to log Part 91 SIC in turboprops is just nuts. I worked a whole lot harder in the King-aire than the Citation! The rules were written for Twin Beeches.....

Latest resources

Back