Logbooks Don't Lie

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Imissmypilot

I don't know a single pilot at Flexjet who isn't doing one of two things: planning their retirement or prepping their logbook.

While I remain optimistic we might get something good out of this MCBA I have to also remain realistic we will probably not get anything. At least not anything good enough to piss away another few years while all the go getters behind me gain a few years seniority at a worthwhile company.

The company outlook is creepily enthusiastic and my union sources are weary and tired. My impression is it's been Sisyphus up the hill for them while the company sits at the summit. I share in the speculation on this board something smells rotten in Denmark about this situation.

But it doesn't matter. Anyway, in my logbook review I decided to share a few statistics I found particularly telling. We will take my first 10 years average at Flexjet and comapre it to my current year on track:

Hours: plus 35%
Legs: plus 40%
Duty time: average hovering around 8 hours to over 11 hours

On the one hand, one might think this looks really good for the company's strategy. But you have to remember that we are operating with 20% or so less pilots overall. (If you want to look at original flexjet numbers we've lost more.)

Even still, it's fair to assume the company has seen a modest increase in revenue and profits if you were to look at an apples-to-apples situation. This is actually great news because it means the company can afford to have pilots share in the profits. But on the other hand it does not predict the wild success of red label the way they would have you think. It actually begs the question if they would go back to a traditional Flexjet strategy would their profits actually increase considerably? I think the answer would be yes.

I'm doing 30% plus more work for the company and yet not making any more money. That's fine. I actually don't want to "make more money". I just want to be fairly compensated for the work I am doing. I think we all want that don't we?

Do you guys see what is wrong with this model? Flexjet was profitable treating their pilots well. Imagine how much more successful Ricci and Company could be if they found a way to truly utilize the concept of best practices? To "merge" the concept of non-abuse with the best guido marketing the world has yet to see?

Their inability to do so tells me this isn't about money at all. This is about a small man's ego and the pilots who dared to stand up to him. To union leadership I say kudos to you for having the balls to do what needed to be done. However, the realist in me knows it's probably time to pack up and leave.

Logbooks don't lie. Well, unless you're in middle management but that's another post.

I've heard the promise that I would be one of the best paid pilots in the industry. I also must face the fact that I have been misled. Almost two decades invested in some one else's pipe dream. I'll hang in there for a little while and then decide when to retire on my terms.

The problem is that FO was probably more profitable than Flex despite what was being said to the masses. There are a million ways to hide money throughout all of KR organizations.

Latest resources

Back