Living in India info needed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BLing

So I took a flying job over in India. For you guys that have taken a contract job flying overseas, what are some essential must have items that I need to bring with me? Also what is the best way to stay connected with home (Family in the US, Fiance in Germany)? Are there any good international cell phone deals that any of you have come across? Can I rely on descent internet access? Any info is appreciated.

Download: Skype, MSN and Yahoo messenger. Dependiing on the quality of the internet you may only get one to work at any given time.

Buy: Universal adapter for the electricity. Extra batteries for the laptop as u will be sitting in the back of airplanes a lot from the sound of it.

When you get there you will be able to get an unlocked GSM Quad Band phone real cheap. Personally, I just get a SIM card for each country that I spend time in. I use cingular while in the US.

Flying overseas is good bank, but you will spend more on currency exchange and long distance.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Just to clarify, you exchange the SIM card in your US Cingular phone when overseas?

Hi!

Most of the freight guys say they're using Skype to make phone calls via their laptop/internet connection.

Good Luck!
cliff
GRB

PS-What are the details on your experience & contract?

Vick's VapoRub to put under your nose, the stench in the cities in India can be horrendous.

Download: Skype, MSN and Yahoo messenger. Dependiing on the quality of the internet you may only get one to work at any given time.

Buy: Universal adapter for the electricity. Extra batteries for the laptop as u will be sitting in the back of airplanes a lot from the sound of it.

When you get there you will be able to get an unlocked GSM Quad Band phone real cheap. Personally, I just get a SIM card for each country that I spend time in. I use cingular while in the US.

Flying overseas is good bank, but you will spend more on currency exchange and long distance.

I agree with all of the above.

I have just started my second year of overseas contract flying.

The Skype will work, but many times I will run into a satelitte internet connection that can't handle it for whatever reason (if your floating around 3rd world nations). Also, some countries will not allow skype to work for their own reasons (like dubai, UAE), I assume forcing you to use the local phone people maybe...?...

And you will get a case of the scoots at some point, so Immodium AD will come in handy, or you can just take a dump in the cockpit like I did a few months ago. What a circus that was. (dont drink a redbull on an empty stomache in the morning i guess..?)....

I was always cautious in run-down countries, and brushed my teeth with bottled water, along with only drinking bottled water.

And I never took a cell phone with me, because one was provided, but I think theres something with the US cell's where some monkey motion is involved. So maybe just wait until you get there and buy a nice 4-band phone and get a local sim, and youll be set.

All the usual stuff your going to worry about, like soap, toothbrush, all that sort of stuff will be available wherever you go, so dont pack a seperate suitcase full of dental floss and toothpaste.

On this last venture, I only took one rollarboard and a flightkit with me, thats all I will ever need. Pack light.

one more thing, I also gave my father power of attorney (im not married), since I dont make it back stateside very often, just in case something out of the ordinary happens...something that some people don't think about.

But maybe some of this stuff only applied to me, so good luck in your adventure. Was the best thing I ever did (so far).

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd get an Iridium hand held and be done with it. Anywhere in the world, anytime. No sim cards, etc...

simple is good.

Thanks for the info. Just to clarify, you exchange the SIM card in your US Cingular phone when overseas?

Nope... Don't buy a Quad Band phone in the USA.

All of the same models are for sale overseas and are much cheaper. Pick what ever model 4 band you want to have before you leave, then just look for it when you get there. I say pick the model you want first, because they will tell you over there that all the phones are quad band when they might only be a Dual band. Dual bands don't work in the USA.

The phones purchased in the US are "locked" and will only work with one specific service provider. All the phones in Asia and the Mid East are "unlocked" and will work with any service's sim cards.

Once you get the phone, it is just a matter of going to a local service provider and getting a pre-paid package. They will give you the sim card to insert into the phone.

Your Cingular phone will work in most countries if it is unlocked, but not in Korea and Japan, no matter what.

How to unlock? Just google it...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back