Like PilotYIP says, Skip College

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A thought occurs:

Now, they want to legislate that everyone has: The ATP.

OOOhhhh....The PHD ( If you will ) of Aviation.

Whoopty-Do! Again.

Renslow had one one of those, and all those people are still dead.

Hmmmm? Go figure.

Pieces of paper are good for 2 things...Wiping the bungee, and writing upon.

Oh, and hanging on the wall in a nifty frame to Lord over those who don't have one...

Now, I am off to buy a very large, expensive watch, and a very gay pair of Dave Clarks....

YKW

I knew there was a reason I went to college and it wasn't for that piece of paper everyone told me I need to get ahead in life. If you wanted sex education, just get to know some of the college cuties in their prime sunning themselves on the quad.

Damn it, I am going back to college!!!

http://money.cnn.com/2006/10/25/pf/college/census_degree/index.htm

Intresting discussion but the figures are pretty clear. As a side note, being a furloughed NJA guy has done nothing for me in the business world. They want a business degree with specialized training in finance, acctg, IT, etc.

I think getting a good job right now without a college degree is pretty difficult.

The US economy will require more specialized workers, who can do different tasks at once and who can think critically about problems.

you are correct but college is not the only place to get those skills. You can also spend 4 years in college and develop no skills

Not all students are fat, drunk & lazy.....Belushi style. Although it makes for good entertainment.

... He tells me how disappointed he was that his daughter, Valedictorian of her class, turned down a partial college scholarship to join the Navy's Nuclear Power Plant Operators rating. I told him he a daughter with extreme wisdom, that almost anyone can get into college, but most college grads could not pass the entrance test to be a Nuke...

It's been a few years, but passing the NAPT is not that difficult unless you breezed through school with the bare minimum in sciences and math. The test is mainly at the high school level. Having said that, once you begin the overall training pipeline is very much a firehose, and it goes on for quite sometime until you hit the fleet. At my airline interview the interviewer was very much interested in this experience on my resume; it was living proof that I could rapidly digest large amounts of technical info over a short period of time. She said it directly contributed to me being hired.

When a potential employee walks thru the interview door, the only thing a hiring manager knows about that person is what's on a piece of paper in front of him.

If there is a degree from an accredited 4 year college or university it already says something about the person even before the first words are spoken.

It says you can be where you are supposed to be when you are supposed to be there over a lengthy period. It says you can complete difficult (at times), lengthy assignments. It says you have long-term 'stick-to-it-ivness'.

It also says you have developed some life skills and some social skills.

None of these things can be adequately gleaned by a 30 minute conversation or Sim ride...

The simple fact is a person without a 4 year degree is a bigger crap-shoot for the employer. Period. In our business we all walk thru the door with the same license and ratings on our certs. The person with the 4 year degree is getting the job.

Go to college. people don't even ask IF you went to college anymore. They ask WHERE you went to college...

Your basic high school diploma prepares you for nothing in this world. No understanding of history, civics, economics, mathematics, scientific thought (reasoning) or communication. Many go to college and get none of the above, either. They went for "job skills." I learned more in my first two years than the preceding 12 years, not including kindergarten where I learned everything I need to know. ;)

While going into the Navy as a nuke tech, is honorable. There is some thinking required. One thought: when you get out, will there be nuke plants or wind farms? Will you be able to get insurance as a civilian due to the radiation exposure. (There's always some.) If your child gets through that school, and continues to getting a nuclear engineering degree (w/ Dr?) then she'll be in the 98th percentile and set.

A little schoolin' never hurt nobody.

Not needed until the last step in the Aviaiton Industry

If there is a degree from an accredited 4 year college or university it already says something about the person even before the first words are spoken.

It says you can be where you are supposed to be when you are supposed to be there over a lengthy period. It says you can complete difficult (at times), lengthy assignments. It says you have long-term 'stick-to-it-ivness'.

It also says you have developed some life skills and some social skills.

None of these things can be adequately gleaned by a 30 minute conversation or Sim ride...

The simple fact is a person without a 4 year degree is a bigger crap-shoot for the employer. Period. In our business we all walk thru the door with the same license and ratings on our certs. The person with the 4 year degree is getting the job.
First off, it is not necessary to go to a 4-yr college right out of high school to end up at a major airline. Because college has nothing to do with flying an airplane, now I will admit it may have an effect on getting an interview and hired after you have 1000's of hour flying someplace else that could give a hoot about a college degree. This following example in the model of success in pursing flying job. We hired a 20 year old pilot about 8 years ago. He had 1 year of on-line college credit completed. He had started working the ramp pumping gas in high school, got hired hauling cargo in SA-227 as an F/O for no pay, at 18, got promoted to 208 Capt. at age 20. When we hired him, he had 1600 TT, 1100 MEL, 350 Turbine PIC, 1450 total turbine. He is started as a DA-20 F/O at $33K/yr, he made a DA-20 Capt at age 23. His on-line degree in Aviation Management was completed by the time he was 26 years old and he had a DC-9 type. At that time he had 4000 TT, 2800 MEL, 2800 Turbine, 2000 hours 121 time, 1200 121 Turbo Jet PIC and two TJ type ratings. He has his on-line BS degree in Aviation Management, and no debt. He interviewed with a major and was offered a job. The traditional 4-yr. degree guy at age 26 who has 1200 TT 350 MEL 15 Turbine was not offered an interview. Who is the more competitive? Remember you enter this career because you like to fly airplanes, hang around airports and drink beer with other pilots.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back