Light Twin TurboProp to Majors?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

questionman

I currently work for Airnet Express. I have an offer to work for an on demand 135 operator flying a King Air. I also know of a job flying a MU-2. Both the King Air and MU-2 jobs are really close to home and quality of life would be good BUT I dont want to screw myself out of ever going to the Majors(/Nationals(FEDEX, UPS, AirTran, ect).
Question: Would it be stupid to give up my chance at LearJet PIC time in the future to get TP PIC now?(LRJet PIC is over a year away-minimum). By the time I got to LRJet PIC I could have 1500hrs of TP PIC.

Anybody actually make it to the Majors with this kind of time??

Virtually every pilot from Great Lakes that went to the majors had only twin engine turboprop time. Of course that was SCHEDULED service. I reccomend the flying job that most resembles the majors.

Apparently the job "that most resembles the majors" is single engine fighter time, and not much of it either.

Lear Time v. MU-2 or Kingair time

You really need to get some scheduled ops time under your belt at some point to be attractive to the majors. That's the kind of opportunity I'd seek.

You can always take the KingAir/MU-2 job for a while and apply to a commuter. Maybe you can try that when hiring picks up, so you can get your ticket punched there and not stay any longer than you have to or want to.

I appreciate Caveman's comment. Military pilots go to the front of the line, no matter what they are flying.

I don't think so.

I never flew for Airnet but I did the same thing that Airnet does in a MU-2. Even though it was the same thing every night we were still 135 and on-demand charter. Im' not sure of any scheduled 135 companys.

Any body else no if Airnet is scheduled?

In my class we didn't have anybody who hadn't been flying 121. I think you should look at commuters. But that's just my opinion. Also, when did AirTran become a major?

I would say that AirNet is a scheduled ops since they have a set schedule every night. Even though they do on demand charter too, I would assume in their ops specs they get to use 135.265 for their crew rest requirements. I know that is how it says it in our ops specs becuase we have scheduled runs for UPS and a check run, but we do a deacent amount of on demand stuff too. As far as an answer for questionman I would say just do what you like best. If you like AirNet and don't mind waiting a year+ to upgrade to Lear Cpt. then stay there. If you think you would like flying the MU-2 or King Air 90 better then go do that. At AirNet couldn't you bid for the Caravan to get turbine PIC until you can upgrade to Lear Cpt??

hmm... looks like some one from big D got offended to a privous remark about AirTran...we not a major...just yet, but are on many people's preffered list of places to work for.

Back to your question. AirTran used to hire a lot of 135 pilots. That all changed with with Sept 11 and the fact that upgade went VERY junior. They are currently looking at 1000 PIC and 121 captain status.

Yikes!!

:eek: Good Lord!! That FLYnMONKEYS thing is gonna give me nightmares!! Get that thing the h#ll outa here before I start seeing it flying around outside my window at 3:00 in the morning!!

Latest resources

Back