Lets review the history of merging lists

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ASApuppy

I'd like to have a discussion with those that have accomplished a merger of their lists to stop whipsaw pressures. The airlines that come to mind are Eagle, Mesa/Freedom, and Republic/Shuttle/Chautauqua. I'm sure there are others.

What was life like before your one list? What were managements threats against you? What, if anything, did you give up to achieve one list? Was it worth it? If you could repeat history, whould you make changes?

I am bringing this up because it is on the front of most ASA pilots mind. I wasn't in the industry when Eagle got together and I don't remember much about the pre-onelist at the other carriers. I do truly look forward to the day that I can concentrate my efforts on delivering great customer service rather than how I can defend myself against non-stop attacks from management. I'm wondering if this is a means to help accomplish this.

Don't forget about PDT and ALG.

Premerger we had 80ish aircraft. Post merger we have 50 flying a/c with a couple of spares. Straight DOH. Really no fences. Management really didn't say or do anything. They just starting closing some of the ALG bases and then upgrading ALG FOs into PDT bases. We had Mid Atlantic at the time so that sucked most of the ALG guys into the Airways seniority list.

Excellent post.

You should also be sure to remind your ALPA Representatives & Management that this is what you want / demand / expect. Sure they will tell you why it will be "too expensive," but grassroots pressure is the most we can do right now.

Mesa/Freedom:

Not a good example of a merger. Both were always owned by the same Airline: there was no "acquisition". It was alot of alter-ego nonsense.

(Plus, this very question will probably now turn into 3 pages of "scabs", "that's not a scab", "Mesa sucks" etc ad nauseum. Nothing says "HIJACK THIS THREAD" like mentioning Freedom/Mesa or GoJts/TSA)

That said: When Mesa/Freedom were "merged", all Freedom-A types (Mesa pilots who jumped ship to go to Freedom) were given their original Mesa senority numbers back since they were technically on a "leave of absence", and all the new hires at Freedom were put at the bottom of the merged Mesa senority list.

So this is NOT a model that will be followed by ASA in any way.

i did not know that asa, and skywest were going to merge. from what i was "told" that was not going to happen. but who knows?

Not going to happen... but if it did some time down the road (5+years at the earliest) it wouldn't be good.. most other airlines were already ALPA/ALPA not NON-UNION/ALPA.. Who do you think SkyWest INC. is going to look out for?

amcnd said:
Not going to happen... but if it did some time down the road (5+years at the earliest) it wouldn't be good.. most other airlines were already ALPA/ALPA not NON-UNION/ALPA.. Who do you think SkyWest INC. is going to look out for?

Sadly, SkyWest pilots have no motivation to push for one list. It's hard to understand the whipsaw process when you're the one benefiting from it. Also, there's going to be 1800 pissed off ASA pilots demanding DOH, mainly because all the growth (and resultant upgrades) has gone to the other side of the house. Plus, I guarantee not one person at SkyWest wants an Atlanta base.

SkyWest pilots also have this aura of invincibility, since ASA was acquired and therefore not "pure". Jerry will make all business decisions based on keeping the SkyWest pilots happy (not what will make the most money for his shareholders), and if ASA gets burned in the process, oh well. Keeping SkyWest pilots happy is key because of that pesky union organizing problem.

What I wrote above was pretty cynical, but honestly if I was a SkyWest pilot I would be against an ASA merger. Things are just too good over there in the short term to think rationally about how bad things could get in the long term without a merged list. Ask any ASA pilot right now if you need to know why!

the only merging going on at RAH was the old shuttle america into the RAH family. less than a hundred pilots thrown into about 1300, so not that trendsetting of a merger.

Latest resources

Back