Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
LR JET TRAINING

Hey congratulations!

ALL of the advice you've been given is excellent. I've been to Simuflite Initial SIC LR35, and back for recurrent quite a few times as Captain. The instructors at SF are fantastic. They are all experienced in the airplane, and will teach you from a background of "been-there, done-that", instead of: "look what I learned in a book." Some of the better instructors you'll find there are:

George (both of em')
Amy
Randy
Jeff
Mike
Ham

(Out of respect for Mark's liability, first names only.)

Going from a VFR teaching environment to the jet can be a lot of work, but these guy's have seen you fly, you wouldn't be offered the job if they didn't see some raw talent, nice work dude. At SF, you'll cover all of the sytems, fly the sim, then revisit the systems for oral prep. They cover a lot of ground quickly. TAKE NOTES AND ASK QUESTIONS! Don't forget that you are the customer. In order to keep the stress level manageable, I'll make the following suggestions. They are all listed in previous posts above, but they really did save my behind. The "secret" to doing well in school is this: Show up with the rote memorization complete. this will allow you more brain cells and minutes at the end of the day to study the systems and simulator profiles. Thats it! Show up with the following commited to memory:

-Limitations (all of em')

-Red Text Emergency Procedures (PM me if you need
clarification on which one's these are)

-Annunciators (be able to respond with the rote meaning for
each one; if the instructor says: Bleed Air Left, you say: "illuminates to indicate an overheat condition in the corresponding pylon area and/or bleed air ducting."

To help yourself learn these, purchase some flash cards or a handheld tape recorder. I've used the tape recorder method now for years, works great for me.

If you can show up for day one with those three areas commited to memory, you'll have a lot more fun with the course, and lower your blood pressure considerably. You don't have to understand them, just be able to re-gurgitate them verbatim.

Once at Simuflite, enjoy the experience as much as you can. The instructors are true professionals. If you're willing to do the homework and put forth the effort, they will really go out of their way to help you learn the airplane.

By the way, the 35 sim really does fly just like the airplane. Definitely one of the better pieces of hardware/software out there.

Best of luck buddy, PM me if I can be of any assistance.

PS- Nice to see Bill M. back on the board! Hope things are going well for you over at DAL. I take it you're not on the panel anymore.....

HIRED!!!

Fellas,

Thanks so very much for all of the kind words and wisdom. I received "the call" from the owner of the company himself this past Friday informing me that he wants me at Simuflite for Lear school in 2 weeks. WWWOOOOOHHHOOOOO!!!!!! Sorry, but I am thrilled!! I am going to adhere to all of the advice given, and bust my tail to get through the Lear 35 SIC school. Is there a check ride, or what? I take it that you CAN fail this course, although that is far from my plan. I have begun memorizing the "Limitations" section and the "Annunciator" section in the manual that I have access to. I only hope that Flight Safety and Simuflite are closely related. But, given we are talking about the same a/c, I anticipate no problems.
Thanks again fellas, and God bless.

Ron
:D

I have been to the LR-25 Simu-Flite training.

It is a real checkride, you can fail it, and it is to ATP specs.

Since you are not an ATP, I am not sure if it will or will not be to those standards.

Most of the instructors when I was there were pretty cool.

If you are allready getting a start on the systems and limitations you should have a handle on it.

It is however like drinking from a fire hose, you have to keep up, you have to grasp most things on that particular day that things are being tought to you because the next day they move onto another subject.

I spent alot of time in the hotel doing nothing but studying the days events and reviewing the previous days lessons.

Just stay with the program as it progresses and you will do fine.

As to the flying, just take your time and just look sharp, it will most likely be alot different from what you have done in the past.

Remember, you have to fly the airplane first. Like if you have an engine fire after V1, you fly the airplane to 1500FT AGL, you make deliberate actions, you follow your training. In the few seconds it takes you to get to 1500, the engine is not going to melt off (in most cases) and then you address the problem, deliberatly and systematicaly. In other words you just calm down and do it.

On the other hand, it is a jet, as long as you have it under control on which way it is pointed, you pretty much can divert some attention to any situation they put you in. If you have problems keeping the airplane pointed in the right direction things start to snowball from there.

I will add one piece of advice that worked for me. When your being vectored around and your trying to secure an engine or something of that nature, go ahead and slow the airplane down to about 180kts, it is too easy while your busy involved in something and you find yourself doing about 220kts eating up realestate. That will give you a little breathing room to work with while your IMC on the downwind going trough checklists.

I'm not sure if one of the instructors pointed that out to us or what, but I do remember doing it.

Most of all have a good time and enjoy the training.

Simu-Flite is a great place to go.

Oh yea, I think they will hand out a poster of the cockpit layout, pin that bad boy up on the wall in the hotel room and sit in front of it until you cant stand it anymore, go through your flows and preflight checks, it will help you out when you get into the sim.

LR25

Re: LR JET TRAINING

LJDRVR said:
PS- Nice to see Bill M. back on the board! Hope things are going well for you over at DAL. I take it you're not on the panel anymore.....

Thanks, I've been lurking since hiring fell off last summer.

I got kicked off the L-10 last year to the 737-800. The furloughs forced me to the 727 right seat this month (though MGT decided not to train me); I head to MD88 school on the 30th. Hopefully things will turn around soon, and we can start hiring again.

Excellent advice about SimuFilte. Here's some unsolicited additional stuff: North Main Street BBQ in Eulous and Esparza's in Grapevine.

I wish you success!

Latest resources

Back