Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: Interviewers

pilotyip said:
could be the interviewers did not know the answer, or your strong points overcame the answer on this question.

PILOTYIP,

That is very possible. However, I have always been taught that it is a PRECISION approach. If you ask 3 different POIs or DEs a question about any specific FAR you will likely get 3 different answers! I will continue believing that an LDA/GS is a precision approach. By the way, a PAR is not an ILS but is also a PRECISION approach. Take away the GS and they are both non-precision.

gump

flx757 said:
An LDA approach, regardless of whether or not it has a GS, is a NON-PRECISION approach.

Period.....End of discussion.

Then next time you shoot one, use the MDA for the GS out minimums instead of the lower DH with the GS! That way you will have your NON-precision approach.:D

Re: Re: Interviewers

gump88 said:

If you ask 3 different POIs or DEs a question about any specific FAR you will likely get 3 different answers!

gump

That may very well be true, however if you consult the AIM or, if you fly for a 121 carrier your ops specs (Para C052), regarding this particular question, you will get the SAME answer. That an LDA is a non-precision approach...glideslope or no glideslope.

There are 3 "precision approach systems"; ILS, GLS, and MLS.

The PAR is also a precision approach but is based on radar.

Once again, and finally...an LDA is a non-precision approach. The fact that there may be a glideslope associated with it does not make it a "precision approach system".

Re: Re: Re: Interviewers

flx757 said:

That may very well be true, however if you consult the AIM or, if you fly for a 121 carrier your ops specs (Para C052), regarding this particular question, you will get the SAME answer. That an LDA is a non-precision approach...glideslope or no glideslope.

There are 3 "precision approach systems"; ILS, GLS, and MLS.

The PAR is also a precision approach but is based on radar.

Once again, and finally...an LDA is a non-precision approach. The fact that there may be a glideslope associated with it does not make it a "precision approach system".

True, the ops specs state that an LDA approach is non-precision, but I cannot find where it says "glideslope or no glideslope." This section, Para C052, is referencing a stand-alone LDA approach. I believe according to definitions already posted on this thread, adding a GS makes it precision.

Lets just agree to disagree on this subject!?!?

Respectfully,
gump

Former 121 puke - 8 years

Latest resources

Back