• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

LDA Approach

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I thought that you needed to have an approach that was within 30 degrees of the runway and have vnav. I don't believe that an LDA goes outside of this 30 degrees for the most part. There are some that run you to the run perpindicular, but to answer your question, as long as you break out 30 on either side of the runway and have vnav for the approach, it would be considered precision.

NPA

It is a non-precision approach because it does not align with the runway within 2.5 degrees on centerline. This comes from the FAA via our POI. We list the LDA w GS as a non-precision approach in our Op Specs. If it was listed as a precision we would have to shoot one on ever check ride to stay current.

Non-precision!

The LDA/GS approach is non-precision ... to qualify as precision, an approach must have sufficiently sensitive lateral and vertical guidance (for this reason, an SDF with GS ... if there is such a thing ... would be non-precision as well ... signal width provides half the sensitivity of a localizer), and align the user with the runway w/in 2.5 degrees ... the 30 degrees alignment from a prior post differentiates between a straight-in and circling approach.

I've had this discussion a few times with a good friend of mine who is a DPE, as well as with SPMs from two different FSDOs, and the answer was unanimous.

Take a look at some specific IAPs and think this through ... good examples off the top of my head include the LDA/DME and Rosslyn LDA 19 approaches at DCA, the LDA 6 at ROA, and the LDAs to 12L and 30L at STL. By the way ... these are all installed for different reasons ... good teaching tools for CFIIs out there ... I used them all the time for instrument students.

Tailwinds, y'all ...

R

I would argue that a LDA with a glideslope IS a Precision Approach. Under the definition in your Jepps (page 9 - intro tab) it defines a precision approach as: " A standard instrument approach procedure in which an electronic glideslope/glidepath is provided". Using that definition, it would classify as a precision approach.

Also, if you look at a LDA approach with a glideslope (for example: the LDA Rwy 6 in ROA), it lists a DA as opposed to an MDA. And the definition of a DA is "A specified altitude or height in the PRECISION approach at which a missed approach must be initiated..." Reference page 4 in the intro tab of your Jepps.

The mystery continues....

Years ago, an instructor taught me that vertical guidance meant precision, and that only a precision approach had a DH.

Who has the answer?

I have been asked this question several times at interviews. I always answered "precision". Never been turned down for a job - 4 times.

It has vertical NAV and a DH ------- PRECISION! An LDA has the same lateral sensitivity as an ILS. It is just not aligned with the runway centerline. That is why you will not see an LDA/GS approach to a DH of 200 AGL.

gump

Interviewers

could be the interviewers did not know the answer, or your strong points overcame the answer on this question.

An LDA approach, regardless of whether or not it has a GS, is a NON-PRECISION approach.

Period.....End of discussion.

Latest resources

Back