Landing mins

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

goose32

121 guy here. Flying to an airport the other day with poor weather. The ILS required 3/4, but the field was reporting only 1/4. A "dotcom" flight accepted the approach and flew in. How is this legal? Thanks

If the .com is part 91 he can try it, you can't.
As you know, if you or the . Com flight gets to mins and sees the approach lights, it/ you can continue to 100' above mins and land if certain criteria is met.
I recently bought a single engine piston plane, and I've been watching flightaware to see what kind of weather single engine pilots fly in.
I watched a pilot try a approach to a airport reporting 1/8 vis in a airplane similar to mine, he missed and diverted to a airport reporting 1/4 mile visibility and apparently landed.
My nerts are solid, but not that big

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks. I guess 91 has no restriction on needling a minimum to accept an approach attempt. Yikes unless you're CAT2 or higher less than 1/4 doesn't sound safe.

Someone else may chime in with more specifics, but basically that's probably true. I should review it, but in a single engine piston plane, my personal mins will be higher than that. In other words, nice to know but won't apply.

maybe RVR for that runway was 4000, that make the approach legal. RVR overrides tower vis.

Sorry, edited duplicate

Last edited:
If the .com is part 91 he can try it, you can't.

As you know, if you or the . Com flight gets to mins and sees the approach lights, it/ you can continue to 100' above mins and land if certain criteria is met.

I was just reading this older thread and I had a friend get busted by the FEDS on this one. It's a stinker... If you read FAR 91.175 closely you will see the following: 91.175 (3) i -

(3) Except for a Category II or Category III approach where any necessary visual reference requirements are specified by the Administrator, at least one of the following visual references for the intended runway is distinctly visible and identifiable to the pilot:
(i) The approach light system, except that the pilot may not descend below 100 feet above the touchdown zone elevation using the approach lights as a reference unless the red terminating bars or the red side row bars are also distinctly visible and identifiable.

The kicker is that Red Terminating Bars AND side row bars are only a part of the ALSF II landing light system. That's what are on CATII and CATIII runways. Red Terminating Bars are on the ALSF I system. If the runway under discussion has minimums of 3/4 it may not have an ALSF I or II light system.

My friend got dinged by the FED's on this when he tried to talk his way out of this. He didn't read the fine print. It was a CAT I high mins runway with an MALSR system that didn't have the red side or terminating bars.

Last edited:
I meant to say 100' "below" mins, but that specified criteria had to be met.

Latest resources

Back