King Air C90A Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cocknbull

What is the King Air C90A max takeoff weight?

What is it with the gross weight increase from raisebeck?

Is it that much better then the C90?

What should a C90A captain/manager make in Cincinnati area?

Thanks for any replies
:D

hmmmmm

Sounds like you are looking to set yourself up as a "C90A captain/manager" and are looking for some answers to basic questions about C-90s. This is the moment where you have to admit to the prospective owner that you are not a C-90 King Air expert and go hire one, this will prevent the owner from getting burned (as most do when they purchase a turbine aircraft with no one to protect them from the pitfalls), and it will allow you to not be the scapegoat for buying the wrong aircraft, at the wrong price, with a huge inspection or overhaul due within 6 months of purchase. You are probably not in a position to act as the owner’s agent, and it is possible that you have never been in a position to evaluate the mission profile, search the market and find the best aircraft for the mission and for the buck.

C-90s overall are great aircraft but there are some big problem areas to look out for. A little research would lead you to www.Raisbeck.com and some information.

Not to insult you but the pay for a "C90A captain/manager" should be commiserate with his or her experience.

Best of luck......

Ira thanks for the response

I understand your concerns, however the prospective buyer will not be going into this blind. I may have low flight time, but I'm not an idiot. The aircraft will recieve a complete pre purchase and the company will be consulted. Infact I'm not acting as the agent. I'm simply trying to clear up some facts that I am not clear on. I have been to the Raisbeck sight many times, however I have recieved conflicting information from a number of sources. As a result I figured I would ask the experts on this matter; the pilots who fly them. As you can see I have no experience with the C90 series. So if anyone can actually answer my questions I would gladly buy you a beer.
:confused:

a: I never said you were an idiot
b: You were going to be the manager of the aircraft so.... It implied to me the you were representing yourself as an "expert"
c: As for "however I have received conflicting information from a number of sources", that is why I would hire an expert consultant instead of writing a message in a internet forum where you really are not sure of who any of us are......find a guy who manages a flight department with King Airs or a Consultant or even someone that has verifiable references and hire them at a fee to help. After all this is a huge outlay of money for someone (and a reflection on your professionalism) - people get burned in this stuff ALL THE TIME!

Some C-90 info:

C-90, C-90A, C-90SE, and C-90B are the basic choices in the King Air "C" line.

Major differences are the older C-90s are slower, have less range, has a different engine (PT6A-20 vs. PT6A-21, implications there) and a lower gross weight (9,650 vs. 10,100). The C90A and up have a triple fed bus system and some other improvements, such as a more efficient cowl, better standard avionics and a quieter cabin. Yes, in short the C-90A is "better", and depending on the money the prospective owner is willing to spend the market is ripe with good C-90Bs right now.

A good C-90B, 1995 or so, average airframe hours about 2700, with up to date inspections (6 year gear overhauls, good time left on the engines, recent or good windshields, no damage history, and so on) should run about 1.3-1.45 mil. Remember that TAWS B (for part 91 use, 6 or more seats) will be mandated in March 2005 (I think that’s the date) and that, at minimum, will cost about $23,000 installed.

You could of course go out and buy a 1979 straight C-90 for about $700,000 – the average airframe will have about 7500 + hours and as PSL said “This capability doesn't come cheaply.” – meaning you get what you pay for with an older aircraft or any Beech parts for that matter. A gear overhaul can cost up to $40,000 + the down time. You can re-engine the C-90 with a couple of aftermarket engines, Blackhawk being one, runs about $400,000 or so. Windshields are about $7,500 each, you get the picture, by the time you find a good old C-90 and upgrade it to the level of the C-90A or B you still have an old aircraft that you have sunk lots of money into.

As I said before, good luck!

a:I never said that you called me an idiot.

b:I never said I was going to manage the aircraft. I simply asked how much one would be compensated for such a task.

c:The answers to the questions I asked, do NOT require an expert consultant to answer. They can be answered best by pilots. This is a board of pilots, many of whom have flown the C90A. In fact many of these so called expert consultants can't answer these questions. Yes, I agree people get burned on aircraft all the time.

As for your second part I thank you very much for your input and your luck. We are going with the C90A or B for many of the reasons you stated below. We had considered the E90, the F90, the C90, and the CheyenneII. Ira I hope there is no hard feelings I simply asked a couple of questions and you made some assumptions, then stated some facts based on those assumptions.

Latest resources

Back