Just for thought

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My story

Was flying for a large mid west (ohio) check hauler in a LJ 35, was upgrading to capt. on the bid sheet that was out. Got a job offer to fly corp. I always wanted to fly corp so what the hey.

I took a $20,000 pay cut with the promise of $5,000 in 30 days, a type and $5,000 in 90 days and the remaining $10,000 at 6 mo. (I didn't get it writting); then I signed a trainingg contract, I'm responsible for the training cost if I leave inside a year. So far so good. They say all the right things: home more, nicer places to go, better hotels, better food, ect...

I buy it hook-line-and-sinker.

In my old job I left Sun night and got home Fri afternoon, my new job I leave mon come home 3 weeks latter (by the way this was only an out and back).

Long story short. About 2 weeks after I start they tell me that the chief pilot is on the way out and I'll be replaceing hime (cool). 30 days no pay raise, 90 days no type or pay raise?????? 6 mo. still no pay raise and CP is still there. I go to the owner of the company (also in CMH flying a SBR65) and say what gives. He proceeds to tell me he never told me anything like I mentioned above. Wait I say I wouldn't have taken a $20,000 pay cut with out you saying those things. I wouldn't have acceped the job for the same pay to be gone 2x as much. He says never said any of that. FAT liar.

Time passes we go to the Caymans for 8 days, home 10 hours Europe 8 days home 3 days (with an out and backs) gone again 4 days. The average trip length? 5 days. In Apr we go to S. Amer. for 9 days. On the way down we stop in Cali, Columbia; Cortaba, Argintina; Lima, Peru; Caymans, then CMH. I do all the customs paper work and give it to the boss to sign, up to the cockpit he comes, "I don't want anyone to know I was in Columbia." He proceds to tear up his customs paperwork and ask for mine. I say I was I Columbia, and before we left we did file a flight plan so we're not the only people to know we were there. At this point he is pissed and ask for more forms. Sorry 4 people on board 4 forms, "I didn't make a mistake." 20 min latter up to the cockpit he comes, we have a trip this weekend. (ok are you keeping score? 9 days in S. Amer, leaving in 4 days for a 2 week trip and he wants an overnight between now and then?) I inform him I'm not available and all hell brakes lose. (did I mention I was schedeuled to do my cheak ride the next day, they canceled it for a 3rd time). I come home tell my wife all this and announce to her I'm quitting on Mon. (it's Thur). I'll pay the training contract and screw him.

Walk in on mon and get fired on the spot. 2 weeks pay and no Benes. Did I mention that my wife was 5 mo. preg.? Or that I have a 3year old and a 1year old? Or that we bought our house 4 mo. prior?

Oh well next time things get put into writting.

Collected unemployment and flew contract work till Sept 12 when FSI called me with a full time job.

Avoid the only SBR based in KCMH with all your might.

They did call me in Aug to ask me if I'd fly some contract work, I said $300/day up front. They didn't call me back and the FO they did use only got $300/dy for a 3 day trip and got a check for $300.00

Hope things change over there. Did you read this Shawn? Uncle Jimmy looks out for himself.

SBR65

Very interesting story. You definetly did the right thing.

Just curious, what kind of aircraft is a "SBR65?"

Best of luck to you at FSI.

LrJet55,

The G200 flys very nice, climbs like an old learjet when its light!! yes it has a pretty clean cockpit and a very nice size cabin for the size of the aircraft. We have had a few MX issues but I suppose that is to be expected on a brand new model....we have taken it all over the world and it has only broken down once (only..)
oh well, best of luck with the new job!

G200

In any job, you will not be faulted for giving 2 weeks notice. I know you may want to be nice and give more, but often times that will just bite you in the ass. And in corporate aviation, if you give the company about 1 year of service for recouping the cost of the type-rating, you are being fair.

If you do these two things, and they are still unhappy, it wouldn't have mattered if you gave them 6 months notice, they still won't be happy.

Burning bridges is never good, especially in the small world of aviation. My advice is to only make very calculated job changes, this will limit the number of times you have to quit (and piss people off).

Good Luck,
Jetpilot500

Latest resources

Back