• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jumpseating Etiquette

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I started a post complimenting all the good advice given thus far, and adding a few tidbits of my own.

I ended up cancelling my post. I had a conversation with a buddie at a trash hauler today, and we concluded it would be great if there were the Omnibus Jumpseat Act and Ettiquite Guide. However, in publishing ettiquitte, I'm afraid we inadvertently give away the store. Though most requests are sincere, it only takes one. Plus, we never know who reads content. One smooth talker, silver toungued devil could cause a disaster.

As an industry, I think we need to keep this information guarded, like other cheezy videotapes with bearded men.... I'd love to share the information, but if you are working for a company that has j/s priv., somebody at your company should be able to give you the lowdown, or put you in touch, or you know a pilot somewhere you can ask by phone etc. The "I know a guy who knows a guy" network is powerfull.

if you think I'm overboard, check out

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20020114/us/attacks_phony_pilot_1.html

or type in "jumpseat" at yahoo. Pretty clear that person who wrote this is scamming on free travel. Even if fraudulent rider does not have criminal intent, it damages our ability to get to and fro...

> The Captain does own the cabin. I've had this discussion several times with bitchy FA's and I can assure you they did not prevail.
<

Ahhh.... the difference between perception and reality. I sincerely hope that you decline any opened beverages or coffee from Flight Attendants who have heard your opinion about who OWNS the cabin. Asleep during the CRM portion of your last recurrent training, huh?

Just be casual an friendly (that goes without saying) and when the cokpit door shuts usaully the crew has a pretty good time.

Just remember the 10,000 ft thing, even if the crew does some chatting, just courtesy, unless one of them turns around and asks you someting.

Oh, just realized you won't be up front I guess unless they have changed some of the rules of rescent. Oh well.

Advice for the future.

LR25

njcapt said:
[B
Ahhh.... the difference between perception and reality. I sincerely hope that you decline any opened beverages or coffee from Flight Attendants who have heard your opinion about who OWNS the cabin. Asleep during the CRM portion of your last recurrent training, huh? [/B]

CRM with the sky goddesses? Nope, but I will not tolerate abusive FA's demeaning JS riders. Our company policy specifically states they are to be offered FC accomedations. Secondly it is a security issue with me as well. I cover this in the initial breifing.

You going to let some PMS'g FA run roughshod over your airplane?
I'm not.

Incidently, I eat quite well on my flights.

Last edited:
I am still waiting for a j/s to bring me an Egg McMuffin. It's all I ask... and hasn't happened yet. I am starting to loose faith in humanity.

Last edited:
ILLINI,

You will never go wrong in bringing a small bag of good quality candies to share with the pilots and FAs. As I always tell my wife the way to a person's heart is through their stomach. If they don't want any, more for you. It's a nice touch of class to offer.

KlingonLRDRVR

One more note about the food, an FA might not know that you are jumpseating and the catering could be short for the flight. Make sure they know before they give you the last meal and one more paying passenger remains.

Boeingman, if I were you I would not eat anything already opened after the PMSing comment.

Jumpseating eats

For what it's worth, I heard that it won't hurt to bring on a bag of Egg McMuffins to share with the crew.

In the days before 9/11, food was graciously accepted. Since, crews I've jumpseated with have declined food. Can't say I blame them...I guess the concern is that food could be tampered with. Too bad...I was always good for bringing Cinnabons, brownies and cookies...

Be professional, and have fun. Be sure and ask the captain for permission to use the jumpseat. Be prepared to answer questions about your job and the aircraft you fly. Don't B.S. more often than not the captain has time in the aircraft you fly and can give you an oral on it that you will never forget.

Latest resources

Back