• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jumpseat to Sydney Australia

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
United is really the only way to get there on an American carrier (non-cargo). Not sure about the cargo guys like UPS or FedEx. If you have a JS agreement, you can try international carriers like Air NZ and Quantas - they operate the most from US-Sydney...

Flight UA 815 - United Airlines Aircraft 744
Depart Los Angeles, Los Angeles International Apt Dep. Time 10:30pm
Arrive Sydney, Sydney Kingsford Smith Apt Arr. Time 06:10am
Travel Time 14 hours 40 mins Total Stops None

Flight UA 863 - United Airlines Aircraft 744
Depart San Francisco, San Francisco International Apt Dep. Time 10:45pm
Arrive Sydney, Sydney Kingsford Smith Apt Arr. Time 06:15am
Travel Time 14 hours 30 mins Total Stops None

I jumped to Sydney from LAX and back last year on United with no problem! Just make sure you get a visa and bring your passport. Its a blast down under!

I went on United in February....they were so nice!! make sure you check with a travel agent for a visa, it's easy but you have to do it in advance...went out of LAX as well. Good luck, and do the Bridge climb if you stay in Sydney!!!

Ill second what everyone else has been saying, I had no prob going to Sydney on UAL. Make sure and buy an entry visa a few weeks in advance, I think it only cost me about $15 or so. I had a great time but **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** thats a long flight from SFO to SYD. 14.5 hours I think it was going down. There are some really good hotel deals at the tourist counter in the SYD airport right outside of where you clear customs, otherwise there are neat hostels in Kings Cross. On the way back make sure and arrive a few hours early to catch the crew as they check in at the UAL counter otherwise its a real pain to get ahold of them if they go through customs before you. Good luck

Twotter76

Last edited:
Oh, one thing, I would recommend you get an ID-90 or a cheap ticket somewhere as a backup. Also, the security people at LAX would not let me through security without a ticket. I tried to explain to them that jumpseaters get no ticket on United, until they go to the gate. And, the gate agent wouldn't let me have anything, I mean at the ticket counter. Soooo, i showed her my ID-90, at security, and they let me through. Of course, it was just a raw ticket, not a boarding pass....which makes no sense. Just as long as you have something on paper...otherwise it was no problem. Have fun, and don't forget the Bridge Climb. Look at Australia.com for some good deals. G'day!!

Just a question for you travellers who have been to sydney.
I have done that trip many a time with great difficulty, I have been bumped from the jumpseat often and even with the ID90, the flights have been going out full, yes full!

What was the seat availablity for your times of travel?
Any other jumpseaters?

I have had to occupy the jumpseat twice in the 747cockpit for 14hrs. (not as bad as you think)
If you are a US citizen you don't need a visa, but you will have to pay immigration taxes before you leave(20$) at the ticketing.

If any one has info on QANTAS jumpseat it would be appreciated, but I don't think they do it!

thanks

jumpseat to Aussie

halfmoon,

What time of year was your travel, what airline were you trying to get on ????

Latest resources

Back