• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jump Pilot Adventure......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh yeah... I can assure you you're bound to lose an engine at least once during your skydiver flying career flying those singles... All Cessnas I flew jumpers in had fuel bladders which get bad... I lost the engine twice, fortunately both times was after I dropped off the skydivers and was coming down..

Short of aerobatics where its required by the FARs, I would hate to get any jobs that require you to wear an "emergency rig" its hard enough for me to get in the Cessnas (its more like strapping the plane on, not getting in) why does one think I would be able to get out easily.

Though I could see that when ones life is in danger, one is able to bend maybe just a little more to get out too live.

Well crap Shawn - as a sailplane pilot I'd think having an engine pack it in would just make you more comfortable! =)

1. Pray to God above that your jumpers chutes don't open while they are standing on the step. That *ALWAYS* got my heart going while they were in that vounerable location.

2. Always carry enough fuel, and get to know your aircraft. If they say the average pilot carries 25 gal for X amount of trips, carry extra until you get good. In the beginning (in a 182) it takes a bit to get used to getting on the jump run, closing the door, and the actual descent...

3. Don't let them talk you into doing anything illegal.

4. Have fun! I remeber it being a blast 99% of the time and as long as you make sure everything is safe, everyone has fun. (Besides you look cool when you land and get out of the airplane with the newbie jumpers family coming over to you asking you questions because you are a pilot!)

JOJO

Actaully I was a little nervous before I went for my first sailplane ride. I still am a little just after the takeoff on tow (too little alititude to return to the field). But once you get to up there its nothing more than a engine out with much bigger wings.

Cheaper too.

i flew divers about ten years ago; there was something about the pilot and his license being on the line if someone's chute didn't open and it was out of inspection.

the pilot's safety chute i was told was in case someone hung up on the tail!

we used to keep RPM's at 1700 in the descent to prevent shock cooling.

still it beats instructing

The chute is required in the 182 because of access to an open door in flight. The Twin Otter pilots are not requied to wear chutes due to being in a separate cockpit. Our senior rigger told me that if I ever decide to use it...I need to jump out and pull immediately as getting to terminal before opening could lead to some problems (ie me getting hurt). Gotta love rounds!

I got about 300 hours in a jump plane.

1. Tail cracks come from slipping down. Planes are built to fly straight. Put it on 17 inches, 2500 rpm, and yellow line - it'll come down at 2000 fpm. I used to go round and round with the owner about that- she liked to hold full rudder in and spiral down - guess who ended up spending $5000 on sheet metal repair to the aft fuselage?

2. Write yourself a quick and dirty checklist, and use it every time. 1700 rpm, mag check, prop check, control sweep, carb heat, flaps and trim - something like that. You can do it while you taxi (don't tell my old CFI!). We had a jump plane crash near home recently - somebody banged up the control cables getting in and the yoke froze on takeoff. Use a checklist!

3. We had a "Beer Light." No drinking when the light was off; no flying when the light was on. Worked pretty good.

Awacoff,

The reason you're told to get your ripcord pulled once clear of the airplane isn't that terminal openings will damage a round canopy. Round canopies are certified to the same standard that squares are, and must be capable of openings to the same speeds with the same loads. The stresses on the canopy apex are considerably more concentrated than any single point on a ram-air, and rounds have been known to burst.

However, fear of rounds and such issues come from people who don't know anything about them. Those of us who learned to jump on rounds, then PC's and then squares (ram air canopies) don't have any problem with. I learned to freefall under round canopies, and thought that Paracommanders were the cats meow when I moved to them. My only unintentional reserve ride was a round at terminal velocity. Not a big deal.

You're instructed to pull when you clear because you do NOT want to try to get stable and waste precious altitude. If you are an experienced skydiver and can handle flying clear of the bailout before pulling, that's one thing. Pilots using emergency rigs are generally told to clear and pull, period. It's a dummy exercise that keeps you from thinking too much and doing something stupid, like waiting until impact.

The parachute isn't required because of access to an open door; seatbelts take care of that. An emergency parachute is for emergencies. A reserve container open in the airplane, or a main container in some cases, is an emergency, regardless of weather it gets out the door. This is VERY serious, and if that reserve does get out the door and the jumper isn't pushed out right after it, the airplane is most likely raining down in pieces. You'll have access to an open door then; the whole airplane will be open, and it won't be flyable. Many potential scenarios can occur, like the recent midair collision between the Golden Knights Pilatus and a 182, to the loss of a Caravan in Australia when a reserve canopy opened, last month.

Joseph II, opening or letting a pilot chute get away on the step isn't a big issue if the person falls clear. Letting the canopy out inside the airplane is a very big deal, however.

You're not bound to lose an engine if you fly skydivers. Any more than bound to lose an engine doing something else. I've had engine failures with skydivers. I've also had them flight instructing, flying 135, fighting fires, and doing a number of other things. It happens. Several jump pilots have told me about having the keys pulled from the ignition by a jumper just prior to making a diving exit...and landing without power. I've never seen it or experienced it, though I can't imagine it being a big deal.

On this very board last year some fool replied to a thread on that subject and said that if a jumper ever did that to him, he'd crash the airplane in a nearby field to let the drop zone owner know how he felt about such actions. A surprising number of pilots expressed concern about having to make a power off landing after losing an engine in this manner from 10,000' over a hard surfaced runway. To those that are frightened of making such a landing, or who would intentionally land in the hay to make a point, I sincerely hope I never get saddled in the same cockpit with ya. Most pilots aren't that way, fortunately, and can take such things in the spirit they're intended. Fun. That's what it's all about.

If you're not prepared to deal with skydivers hanging by their toes from the leading edge of the airplane, pumpkin jumps, flying surfboards, stolen keys, and making a few skydives yourself, then stay away from the DZ. You'll only make it unpleasant for everyone else. If instead you enjoy hanging out with a great crowd, having a lot of fun, and generally having a good time, then head for the closest DZ, because you're always welcome!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back