• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Job Situation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I understand why you don't want to instruct. I was in the same boat with about your amount of time. I started working on the CFI, and realized that it wasn't my cup of tea. I totally respect everyone who instructed, I just didn't want to go that route. I went to the local skydiving outfit and got on flying jumpers. It all worked out in the end. Good luck

My roommate in flight school decided that he didn't want to instruct either. Figured he could get a job on problem flying skydivers or traffic watch, etc. Well, two and a half years later with no CFI he is loading boxes for UPS. I on the other hand got my CFI and CFII and started working at a flight school in NC. Got my MEI paid for (except DE charge) and lots of FREE multi time before that. Getting a job instructing helps you make CONTACTS with people that can only help you. Other instructors move on to Regionals and are usually more than happy to walk your resume in. Also, instructing out of a somewhat busier airport allows you to pick up some right seat time in a King Air or a Lear or something. The guys that fly those usually just need someone to work the radios, but fly with them enough and they may offer you a permanent gig as a corporate pilot making 40k a year to start. A little work now will help you a lot in the future

In case you didn't see it, here is a quote from Charles Lindbergh's The Spirit of St. Lous that I posted last week.

"I soon discovered that I was learning as much about flying as my students. A pilot doesn't understand the real limitations of his aircraft until he's instructed in it. Try as he may, he can never duplicate intentionally the plights that a student gets him into by accident. When you're flying yourself, you know in advance whether you're going to pull the stick back, push it forward, or cut the throttle. You think of a maneuver before you attempt it. But you're never sure what a student is going to do. He's likely to haul the nose up and cut the gun at the very moment when more speed is needed. If you check his errors too quickly, he loses confidence in his ability to fly. If you let them go too long, he'll crash you. You must learn the exact limits of your plane, and always keep him far enough within them so the wrong movement of a control will still leave you with the situation well in hand. You must learn not how high the tail should go in take-off, but how high it can go without disaster; not how to avoid a wind drift when you're landing, but how much drift there can be when the wheels touch, without a ground loop or blown tire resulting. And after you've learned how to keep a student out of trouble, you find that you've become a better pilot yourself. As you instruct your student in the primary art of flying, he instructs you in its advanced phases. In a gust of wind, or if the engine fails, or in any emergency, you handle your plane more skillfully than you ever did before."

When I began instructing, I thought that I'd be helping others learn while my own skills deteriorated sitting in the right seat. I could not have been further from the truth.

FL000,

Excellent quote!!! I couldn't agree with you more about becoming a much better pilot because of instructing. I too had my doubts about becoming an instructor, but I am so glad I went through with it. I'd have to say I learned just as much, if not more, as an instructor than in all my dual recieved together. It was tough work at times, but nothing beats sharing in your students excitement after their first solo or other "firsts" that they accomplish along the way. It's only been a little over two months since I left my job as an instructor, and there are already times when I miss it.

I wasn't crazy about instructing at first, but it grew on me. I had the purple head man's expression on my face a few times while instructing private students. I'll tell you, though, I really learned instrument flying by teaching in actual conditions. Your students won't be the only ones learning in the cockpit. Just do it.

I know this is starting to sound like a broken record, but I just have to add my $.02...you should definitely plan on getting your CFI and instructing. I found that I learned FAR more through teaching than I ever knew, or thought I knew before that. I instructed at a small airport where I made good contacts and led to my current job flying King Airs and Barons. Just do it...you won't be disappointed and might be pleasantly surprised at how much fun it can be. I know I was...

Best of luck either way...

KingAirKiddo

Medivacer said:
I asked about a month ago about Jobs. It was pretty bleek, now it seems to be picking up.

I'm in Northern Canada, and I'm starting to convert all my lisences to the FAA. (Yes I'm an American).

I have about 300TT with 40 Multi.

Anything out there?

Many thanks.

Hey Medivac . my brother just passed his CFI checkride yesterday and got a job offer today , he is #4 CFI in the family now , and he is very happy to start his new career. the other three are airline pilots and still very proud and active CFI's.My point is the satisfaction that you will get when your student passes a checkride is a great feeling .plus you will learn a lot as CFI.and your confidence level will skyrocket. and trust me not all of us started as a great teachers but experience will help you to become a good CFI. Best of luck to you .

Look at the big picture. Almost all your contemporaries have their CFIs and have instructed their fannies off and gained good PIC time.

Imagine you're the guy (built time by instructing many years ago) doing the hiring at a commuter and you have an CFI that's been doing yeoman duty instructing. And then they have you who's been flying banners or dropping skydivers with no CFI rating. You're both good guys. He asks YOU why you don't have a CFI rating - what are you going to tell him?

If your know for sure you absolutely dont want to instruct you need to at least get a job at an FBO and start meeting people...alot of people. You're not gonna get a job by just sending out resumes with your time, you're gonna have to make friends and bum rides and hope things fall into place. I have less time than you and just got lucky landing a job as a Twin Otter FO.I know a ton of guys that are flying with majors and regionals that never got their CFI's. It's not for everyone. If you dont wanna pump gas and work at the FBO try hanging around jump zones and you never know who you'll meet. Good luck.

$#)! %&#( $%*(# !@@^&%$# #*&%!!
I've bit the bullet, and start getting paid for my efforts in about two weeks. I count myself lucky to have a flying job in this climate, which is more than many can say. I had dreaded instructing, but finally came to realize that it was simply part of the aviation gig, at worst a pill that had to be swallowed, at best a place to make contacts, learn, learn, and learn, and build not only hours but experience. One thing I would like to pass on, if one approaches instructing with such a negative attitude that it might prevent them from being productive teachers, representatives of the industry, please, just skip it. Aviation does not need those who don't care. If you do a sloppy job of teaching and your student winds up out of gas, lands on a freeway and clobbers a family of four driving to grandma's house, well, just think about it. If we can't do it right let us not do it at all.

Latest resources

Back