Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CCDiscoB said:
Albie,

Gutsy move Mav, commuting from the panhandle. Now I see why you went with FEDEX. My wife wants to move back to the panhandle, we lived there for 5 years when I was at Eglin and Tyndall. I not only told her no, but hell no. Impossible to commute from.

You haven't lived until you've tried Pensacola to Dallas (as a non-Delta guy). I love the panhandle....but now live in Dallas.

I discourage anyone from living in Panama City. Its hot, muggy, and full of mosquitoes. The woods are full of ticks and other things that bite. Stingrays and sandsharks (as well as bull sharks) prowl the salt water, and if you find a freshwater creek you must take care to avoid alligators and water moccasins. From June until Nov we have a serious threat of hurricanes (my house was flooded before we bought it by Opal in 95), and we went through two bad hurricanes in 1998. Tornadoes have touched down within a few miles of where I've lived recently. When the wind is wrong a local papermill stinks the joint up. There are no elevations above about 75 feet in the entire swampy county, so you have to drive 40 miles north to even find a hill. Many county roads are red clay or sand and wash out whenever we have one of the many frequent thunderstorms. There are no starbucks, no bike lanes, and 70% of the locals drive oversize pickup trucks with big muddy tires. You'd hate this place...

I mean it--there is nothing to see here. Stay home. Live close to your domicile. DO NOT MOVE HERE! It s*cks....really....it does.... stay away.

I'll just go ahead and suffer to keep my redneck family happy and keep my ANG job.

Trust me--if you haven't been here...you'd hate it. Go to Orlando, Daytona, or Ft Lauderdale...even Tampa. But stay away from here....

Ask anyone who lives here--they'll tell you to stay away too.

Fly safe (and stay away from my town)

Albie

Commute

Albie,

I've only made the commute once, but AirTran from P'cola to LGA worked great. Even got business class out of ATL. Now getting home was different. Let's see my wife went into labor last Thursday and I'm in NYC. I bolt for the airport calling all airlines. Everything was overbooked for the holiday weekend. I decided to take jB to Orlando and then lucked out and got USAirways express from MCO to Panama City and then on to VPS. I then rented a car for the hour drive. Actually got home relatively quickly, but I can tell the commute sucks. Now New Orleans is cutting back to 1 flight a day so that is even taking a chance.

BTW our baby boy is doing great. I missed the birth, but got there pretty quickly.

Evil Jim

Albie,

Classic case of denial.

Don't worry, we aren't coming to your town. They asked if we wanted to go to WSEP, we politely declined.

One more thing, when you say ANG, you need to to write it "ANG" Man days at an active duty wing, with no drills is not the ANG.

EvilJimP,

JB wouldn't positive-space you to the closest city to P'Cola for your new one's arrival?

I have to say....even though Continental Express is a "regional" airline, we get treated well in those types of cases. I have had deaths in the family and asked to be pulled off a trip and positive spaced home, and they did it no problem. I was always impressed by our chief pilots in those types of situations. Surely I'd expect JB to go even farther out of the way for their employees.

With that said.....Congratulations again on the new copilot. Glad all is well.

-Neal

And to Albie......yes, I will gladly stay away from your redneck infested swampland....except for that sim ride you promised me.......I'll trade you for the Archer ride.

Latest resources

Back