• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue in cahoots with petrol$$ ME carriers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bull********************. Use your f ing Union and refuse to fly those routes. Otherwise stfu and don't claim ignorance. Why have a union then.

It gets better.

http://thegate.boardingarea.com/jet...nt-contract-for-service-to-dubai-in-2016-but/

Don't claim ignorance. Man up and use your Union rights. Otherwise don't complain when this US industry slams the door on you Open Skies violators. You carry passengers who should not be connecting to Emirates via your cabins. Easy as that.

Tail
Lmfao! It's the FI version of barney! Bla bla bla, spit , crap, bla...

What blue dude said... What exactly would you have us do? Dumb@$$

You guys bring up a good point and while my approach was not the best, jet lag and whisky is not the best way to fuel a rant. We all should be leary of what our executives try to do. While we are all part of a national union it seems that Alpa snuggles up closer to management these days than labor. That deeply troubles me. We pay dues. We pay extra monies to a PAC. Those combined dollars are supposed to enforce our careers. We have a big push to get the prez to actually show he supports America by putting pressure on the ME3 and defend the Open Skies treaty. And then this happens. Sure you guys are along for the ride so far. It will mean maybe more planes and upgrades and movement. But at what cost? Every time we capitulate in this career to things like this it hurts us in the long run. You blue guys have a lot on your plate right now with your contract. Hell we all do. But it can be addressed via labor channels. We all need to take a more proactive approach against our profit at all costs management styles. It seems the days of actually fairly sharing a piece of the pie with labor are gone. We... Labor have to fight for every scrap we can get. This profession used to be much better. Yet even with record profits I still see it going the other way.

JetBlue is still in its adolescent stage while Delta is past mature. We are both faced with some of the same but yet different issues. It doesn't matter since in the end we are all labor. Labor is being attacked and vilified by greedy execs who only care and lust for higher returns against our compensation. We as a whole are under attack. One of those prongs of attack is from the ME3. While you guys seem as of now to benefit from this issue it will over time hurt you as well as the rest of us. You all have to decide how to handle this issue. You want to be part of the big boy club and have a seat at the table? Well the rest of us at the table are deeply worried about the ME3 and their unfair creep into our business models that they were invited to be a part of only by signing the Open Skies treaty. Which they are in violation of and using you as a loophole to further circumvent the rules by aiding and abetting the treaty violators and allowing them more market share into our backyards. Don't like what I have to say? Sorry. Sometimes the truth hurts. I feel for you guys. This could be a moment you guys show some solidarity. I'll agree that at Delta we need some of that ourselves. Currently we are entering into a new phase with our MEC that hopefully will help change that pro labor paradigm of Alpa away from aiding management and focus more back on the pilots.

Good luck.

Tail

Well the rest of us at the table are deeply worried about the ME3 and their unfair creep into our business models that they were invited to be a part of only by signing the Open Skies treaty. Which they are in violation of and using you as a loophole to further circumvent the rules by aiding and abetting the treaty violators and allowing them more market share into our backyards. Don't like what I have to say? Sorry. Sometimes the truth hurts. I feel for you guys. This could be a moment you guys show some solidarity.

I don't disagree. This is clearly an end run around the intent of the law. I mean really, JetBlue winning the contract to Dubai by a codeshare with a ME3 carrier? YGBFSM. All that said, I'm still waiting for the part where you tell us how we can "show some solidarity" with something other than a press release.

You guys figure that one out. Things are out of whack. You are code sharing with the very airline that our union (and most of the US and European airline managements are fighting against) is currently spendings lots of $$ to keep out, flying US troops to the ME while in current violation of a US treaty. WTF??? And you want me to tell you what to do? Good luck. You're in bed with the violators now.

Tail

That's about what I figured. You offer no solution, or even any ideas, and because we don't have any influence either, that means we're in bed with the ME3. Gotcha.

Go book IAD-Addis Ababa on United's website as well as the GSA website.

https://cpsearch.fas.gsa.gov

United's page places you on an Ethiopian Airline flight, non stop. The GSA site says you'll be on a "United" flight. Or not.

I stole this from apc...

If our govt. had an ounce of credibility... This should have been stopped years ago. Tailhooka, your argument is valid, but your angry at the wrong people. This is just a different version of obamas redistribution of whatever...

No doubt jetblue will benefit from this domestically, but it will decrease chances of international expansion. Is it right? No I don't think so, but contracts come and go and United lost this round and jetblue won.... Sort of...

God the govt is skrewed up.

Good for the boys at Jet Blue. I would totally ignore the condemnation from some bozo at Delta or Southwest. If the past 30 years have taught us anything each of these pilot groups will be perfectly willing to rationalize any behavior that benefits them. That means bastardizing ALPA's original bylaws or stepping on seniority rights of other pilot groups. This deal could be very good for Jet Blue.

From the weekly Alpa national update:

Emirates Awarded City Pair Under Fly America Act
The General Services Administration (GSA), responsible for awarding government contracts on city-pairs under the Fly America Act, has designated Emirates, code-sharing with JetBlue, as the sole carrier of traffic between Washington, DC and Dubai, UAE. As a result of this awarded, United, which previously served 15,000 passengers a year under this contract, is pulling out the market entirely ? leaving zero U.S. carriers flying between the U.S. and the UAE.

The Fly America Act requires passengers whose travel is being paid for by the federal government to travel on U.S. airlines. The GSA has interpreted the Act to allow airlines to service these routes via their codeshare partners. In the case of the IAD-DXB route, JetBlue Airlines has placed their code on Emirates? daily flight, essentially functioning as Emirates? ticket agent for the route. The contract for the route was awarded on non-stop basis; as JetBlue does not currently own any aircraft capable of servicing the more than 7,000 mile distance between IAD and DXB, no JetBlue planes or JetBlue pilots will be used to fulfill this contract ? only Emirates.

While this decision demonstrates the need for clarification of the Fly America Act, it also underscores ALPA?s position that subsidized competition from the Middle East is unfairly eroding our international market share. Emirates bid $699 each way between IAD and DXB, whereas United had previously charged the U.S. government $979. Emirates is only able to offer such a price point because it loses money on this route and need not show a profit anywhere. ALPA is working diligently to convince the U.S. government to open consultations with the UAE and Qatar to end this unfair competition, level the playing field in international aviation, and protect the U.S. airline industry.

Disgusting

Latest resources

Back