Jet Blue Requirements-1000hrs>20Klbs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Focus

Im just wondering why JetBlue has the requirement for 1000 hrs in aircraft over 20K lbs. They did not have this requirement last year and since I'm 250 hrs short it hurts. It seems to me that this could even hurt alot of the military guys. I could be wrong as I'm not sure how much alot of the fighters weight in at, but any info. is surely appreciated. I guess I'll just keep plugging along untill I get the time. Only problem is when I'm flying were lucky to get 40 hours in a month. There are many months you only get 25 to 30 hours of time. -400 almost always operates with a heavy crew. Thanks in advance for your input.

Focus,

Everything I've read during my job search says to apply even if you're short some hours. I would apply and just keep updating (I know the jetBlue web application doesn't allow updates just yet). The pilots that would be hurt by this requirement are the instructors in trainers (T-1, T-6, T-37, T-38). Most fighters weigh more than 20,000 bs. Best wishes. I hope you get a call soon.

:cool:

Tried That

I tried to put in an app. I'm about 200 hours short also. The new software will not let you submit the app without the minimums--keeps coming back with an error message.

Sentry IP is right--it kills those of us with a lot of trainer time.

alex

To all,

Back when I applied in July it was a requirement for 1000hrs in greater than 20K lbs aircraft, however, it does not say PIC. So all your time counts. I would think any military guy with at least one tour in fighters or heavies should have gotten 1000 hrs.

Good luck,

Evil

FYI,

The 1000 hrs over 20K requirement has been in place at least since I applied in October 2000. On the initial contact, I was asked to confirm that I had the required times. I know it seems far away, but keep plugging along and that time will come before you know it. I believe the requirement is there because upgrade time is still somewhat short as in less than 1 year. Good luck to all!!

Im not so sure about that Side Stick. A few of my buddies interviewed last year without the 1000 hrs. Total Time in A/C over 20K lbs. If it was a requirement then, as it is now, and they were still bringing guys in with out it, then I wish that the new ON-Line-App. wouldnt kick back our Applications with the error message as one of the guys above just said. The same thing happend to mine.

Sentry IP was right on when he said to apply even if your short. The only problem is that you get an error message with the new system.

I know there are alot of excellent candidates w/o this Req. Im hoping JetBlue will drop it and start looking at the quality of time instead. I understand the upgrade time is short and they may have a new direction of determining who is the most qualified, but surely a guy who has over a 1000 hrs. Heavy Time is not going to be a better pilot based on that appealing accomplishment then one who doesn't.

JetBlue in my opinion is a great place to make your career. I just think somebody should take another look at this requirement. Just my opinion!!

Obviously in the long run Im sure it all comes down to the bottom line and perhaps this is one way to circumnavigate the huge amount of resumes and apps. they would otherwise get.

I will definately keep building my time, I just hate to see all that senority I could be loosing out on. GO BLUE!!! I know Im ready for those small planes you guys fly. Just 877,000 lbs of humor. Dont take it wrong. Perhaps I could divide the weight. Na I wont even go there. Good Luck to All. -Focus

When jetBlue first began ops, the requirement was 1000 hrs in a/c > 40,000lbs....then it went down to 30,000, ....then about a year ago, to the current 20,000lbs. I would agree with most people on this thread, and apply even if you are short of this requirement. Let the company decide if you are competitive, don't eliminate yourself by not applying.

two years ago it was 1000 hours plus of 100K turbin time, it might even have been PIC. Not many Tac Air guys applying at that time.

<1000 hours 20k ACFT

Hey Out there.
Just reading your post about being under the 1000 hours of 20K lbs Acft. Some have stated that the app is kicked back when you do not have enough hours. Sentry is right you must get your app in and if you are called you and the interviewer can discuss the hour issue. I was wondering if you tried to enter a least four digits in the app. Maybe the computer screens the app looking for four or more digits. So if you have 950 hours try 0950, +950, or 950.5. It is just a throught hope it works for you all.

Good Luck

Can afford to be picky

I'm commenting on Focus' statement that the >20,000 lb requirement will prohibit some quality guys from applying. That is probably true, but from what I've been reading, the guys that are applying have some serious quality time. I doubt there is much "quality" difference, as far as an airline is concerned, from right seat time in a heavy to instructor time. (In terms of hands-on flying) Heck, the AF hires brand new Lieutenants to become IPs. No different than a young Part 91 CFI.

BTW, one tour in fighters will not get you 1000 hrs. You have to fly trainers for that kind of time.

OK let me have it... PIC time vs. SIC. I guess what I'm saying is I'd trade some of my IP time to learn how the big iron handles.

Latest resources

Back