• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is Mesa cat II certified?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'd say I shoot about 2 CATII's a year, can't say specific to east coast, I go too many places.

Given the competitive nature of the regional market, and the emphasis placed on completion factor that most would assuredly be CATII qualified.

I'm sure with Mesa, being Mesa, that cost containment is the primary driver of not gaining CATII approval, just surprised that the mainline partners are a-ok with it.

Maybe the guy was high mins?

If it's anything like SkyWest, there's lots of movement.......

I'd say I shoot about 2 CATII's a year, can't say specific to east coast, I go too many places.

Given the competitive nature of the regional market, and the emphasis placed on completion factor that most would assuredly be CATII qualified.

I'm sure with Mesa, being Mesa, that cost containment is the primary driver of not gaining CATII approval, just surprised that the mainline partners are a-ok with it.

There lies a problem with your thinking. Given the competitive nature of regional market "Cost" is way above CATII qualified. And if you are only doing 2 a year it might be an easy choice to go with the cheaper costing carrier.

Doesn't matter what the current RVR is until you get to the FAF. If the TAF says 1/4 then they can't even launch. They could file to an airport that has a legal TAF and then "divert" to IAD. I bet some DXers would try something like that.

Cat II is 80% on the Maintenance side of the house. The mechanics and the parts all need a higher level of certification.

Doesn't matter what the current RVR is until you get to the FAF. If the TAF says 1/4 then they can't even launch. They could file to an airport that has a legal TAF and then "divert" to IAD. I bet some DXers would try something like that.

Good point.... I guess I just remember having to shoot 2 RVR 1800's. But you are right.

So, if the taf is not legal to launch as a destination, how the hell you propose it would be legal to list as an alternate?

That is some kooky sh*t right there.

So, if the taf is not legal to launch as a destination, how the hell you propose it would be legal to list as an alternate?

That is some kooky sh*t right there.

Not really.

You don't list is your legal alternate..you just change your destination if the wx is legal for an approach when you get close to it.

Example: KTEX is a popular "change of destination" from KMTJ if you're flying an aircraft of Cat C min approach speed and the weather at arrival cooperates.

Latest resources

Back