• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RJL

Is Avolar Going to Make It?

Hey Friends-

I am looking to make a move, possibly to Avolar. A friend told me not to go there- I was told that they have no investors yet and that with United's fiancial woes, it may fall apart before it really starts up.

Does anyone have any information? I looked all over the net, but all I found were "positive" United press releases and several questionable articles. I spoke directly to Avolar, but they wouldn't "shed any light on it."

I may also look at Flexjet or Travel Air. Any thoughts?

Thanks- RJ

Last edited:
They should be able to pull this off and get the financial backing but this is not the best time to be doing it.

That being said, Netjets, Flight Options/Travel Air, Citation Shares, and Flexjets have been there awhile. Flexjet is somewhat marginal from the standpoint that Bombardier may decide it was not that productive to stay in it long term. Still as a manufacturer of aircraft that fit, they can be competitive.

Obviously from a risk perspective, Avolar is the highest risk.

I thought I saw a few weeks ago that UAL was pulling out of the deal. Being that they were the big player here I thought that this kills the whole thing. I could be wrong, haven't paid much attention to the matter.

I met a pilot yesterday who said he keeps hearing two stories about Avolar.

One side is that there is no possible way Avolar can make it without an extreme amount of funding from outside invetors. he said that he heard that everyone they approach for $$$ keeps turning them down. He said people are doubtful how long they can survive without any financial support.

The side of the other story is that they have so much aviaition talent in their ranks that they can't help but succeed to some extent. I really can't ask Avolar what's going on in an interview. Even if the future looks bad, they will never tell me.

He also told me that they were stealing alot of people from the other fractionals. He said that he didn't know of any pilots at EJA that werem't contacted by a recrutier for AVolar! Is this true?

RJ

I am not sure of the exact point you were trying to get across-but I can tell you that I know of allot of EJA pilots(including myself)that have not been contacted by Avolar.
Personally I hope Avolar makes it-but with everything that has happened in the industry after Sep 11th-it sure is bad timing for them.
Fly Safe
Chuck

About a month ago UA's CEO stated that if outside backers for Avolar couldn't be found, UA would not be investing anymore of its money into the project. The CEO's background at Weyerhauser where he was the CEO there was pretty clear....if it didn't deal directly with the business of Wey., he got rid of it. He got back to basics.

Analysts on Wall St have praised him for his simplistic but winning approach about turning around companies. His action was predicted by some analysts before it even happened. Quite frankly it makes sense. If the business model is so enticing for UA to invest in, it should be for other outside investors. If not, then it must be a money loser & lets face it, UA doesn't need to be finding new ways to loose money. Just my 2 cents but if I had no other choices I'd go to Avolar, if other choices exist, got to EJA, flexjet, FO, etc.

RJL said:
He also told me that they were stealing alot of people from the other fractionals. He said that he didn't know of any pilots at EJA that weren't contacted by a recrutier for Avolar! Is this true?
RJ

My informal observation is the opposite. I do not know of ANY EJA pilots contacted by Avolar. The responses I have heard from other EJ pilots is unanimous. They would not leave EJA for Avolar.

He also told me that they were stealing alot of people from the other fractionals. He said that he didn't know of any pilots at EJA that werem't contacted by a recrutier for AVolar! Is this true?

i haven't heard of anyone from eja being contacted by avolar. there are some people in avolar mgt that left from eja - however they are not they type we'll miss - don't know anyone that would go work for them.

Latest resources

Back