• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

IR checkride questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Explain the three types of holding entries. One wrist turned outbound, cuffs in the strong hand. Facedown, hands on back of head. Two man, both wrists restrained and twisted outward.

What advantages do we have for not listing an alternate? No incriminating evidence.

What are the standard alternate minimums? A very liberal spouse, and a large checking account.

Where do we find non-standard alternate minimums and/or restrictions to the minimums? Usually in church.

What kind of fluid is in a magnetic compass and why. Wiskey. That way it can be consumed in the event of a horriffic injury, and can be used to sanitize wounds. The origional intent was to use tequila, but the worm causes binding on the compass needle bearing.

What are the 6 methods for checking the accuracy of a VOR before IFR flight? Striking the face of the instrument. Removing the instrument from the panel and rattling it. Applying extra voltage to see if it holds up. Tuning to a local station and then holding a magnet near the omni head to see if it screws things up. Tuning to a local VOT station while shaking the airplane violently to simulate turbulence. Actually flying the approach under IFR, and if upon breaking out and finding that the approach looks about right, quickly pencilwhipping it and backdating the entry a day or two.

In using a back course localizer for a departure, do you correct towards or away from the needle? Depends if you have a HSI and dialed in the front course, like a good boy.

What is the frequency band of a glide slope (LF, MF, HF, VHF, UHF, etc.)? Punk, I believe, and twice nightly at the Paladium and three times on Saturdays.

When do you cancel your IFR flight plan? Just prior to going in the clouds. That's scary stuff, and it's better to cancel, duck underneath, and fly where you can see what you're hitting.

Does an aircraft on an IFR flight plan,making an approach, have priority over VFR traffic? Depends how big it is, and how gutsy the VFR traffic wants to be.

Explain what to do in an event of a communication failure. I assume prayer and screaming aren't part of the equation. Descend below 50 AGL and read road signs. This also has the added advantage of ensuring accuracy when dropping signed messages to gas stations and road houses, to pass on to ATC for you.

What route would you follow? The one that leads in a direct line to Disneyland.

Altitude? Thank you. You too.

When would you start your descent and shoot the approach? Within three minutes of my ETA to Disneyland, or four minutes of needing to go tinkle.

What does "cleared for the approach" mean? It means end of the third date, and all the right signals are there.

What is the difference between a back course and front course approach? Generally how well you know someone, and certainly personal preference.

A holding fix is an NDB, when do you begin timing the outbound leg of the hold. Abeam the ankle.

What is

HIRL: Also pronounced "Hurl," a term meaning "to vomit."

REIL: Defines the differnce between virtual flight and actual flight. Also sometimes stated as "It's been reil."

RAIL: Used to strike errant students about the head and shoulders during flight instruction

ALS: Advanced life support. Used to keep overweight captains alive and kicking until they can get on the ground and die in their own bed.

SALS: A hot topping best reserved for tortilla chips

PCL: Politically Correct Landing: one you can walk away from, and still smile

What does the term "radar vectoring" in the communications group mean? The communications group is pretty informal, and most of them understand this really means "let's do lunch."

A glide slope facility provides a path which flares from____ to ____ feet above the runway. A glide slope doesn't flare at all. Category 1 approaches aren't flightchecked below 200', and this negates the concept of flaring.

When don't you have to make a report at a solid triangle on an L-chart? Because my kids probably drew it there, and darned if they're telling me what to do.

What band of frequencies are compass locators within? Little River Band, from 1995 to 1998. Presently working on a new album, independantly.

What is the difference between a "feeder facilities ring" and an "enroute facilities ring"? One does primarily fast food, catering to truckers and those on the road, while the other is more of a sit-down meal.

Where do we find the inoperative components table for an approach? Usually in the repair shed, but these components are best left alone for competent repairmen to handle.

When is a standard hold more than one minute in length? With prior approval, only after the third date, and remember; "No" always means no!

What is a "visual approach"? One where she sees you coming across the room, but can't escape. Used only on blind dates where one thinks one has a chance.

What is a "transmissometer"? Used to power the drivetrain of most modern french automobiles; converts engine power to wheel power. Also a device which lets one know just how much one is missed.

How did I do?

I have an excellent one

Depending on where you are in the country, show your your students enroute charts from someplace opposite.

For example, I took my ride in the great state of florida, and until my ride had never seen a mountain on an enroute chart. I guarantee your student will appreciate that "first" before the examiner lays out a chart of the greaer Denver area and asks him "what is that?" :)

ali

Examiner ?

Heres one I got:

You have 30 min fuel remaining. Already went missed twice and youre at your alternate and went missed again. No VFR weather within range or PAR available (yeah, you painted yourself right into a corner). you have an ILS you just went missed on infront of you. What do you do?

Answer he was looking for:

1. Declare an emergency
2. Follow the ILS down to the runway as best you can.
3. For Gods sake think about this question when you plan your flights and dont paint yourself into a corner like that!

Final point--you are the PIC; its your job to get the a/c on the ground as safely as possible. Also--always remeber an airport with emergency equipment beats hell out of anywhere off-airport.

PA

Oh--Avbug-- Marianne, definitely Marianne; shed be certified aerobatic, not ultralight....

Timebuilder,

You got me not thinking straight!!! You are correct about the 1 dot off problem. I was thinking 30 miles out........not 15.

As for the hold question, remember, we triple the inbound correction on the outbound. Try that one 1 more time and I believe you'll have it.

You other guys also have some great questions. SennaP1, you should have plenty to work with here.

Thanks.

Actually, an experienced pilot told me last year that his encounters with holding showed him that doubling the wind correction angle worked better than the tripling of it that you and I were taught.

He explained that it's one of those things that are expected on a checkride, but which are not required in regular operations. Since we're talking about checkride questions here, I should have given the more standardized response.

Yeah, it can be frustrating to find that the standard that we've always been taught is not always the best way to do things. I just came through a CFI academy at American Flyers and was shocked to learn that a lot of my prior information that I was taught was either wrong or incomplete. Students should learn early that they should question everything they hear and half of what they see.

That's news to me. I don't double, triple, or do anything to correction outbound, ever. I've never heard it, never done, it , never taught it, and never had a problem. Sounds like some folks practice it, but it's never come up on a practical, interview, sim check, proficiency check, or any other check.

Then again, the last time I got a hold in real life was some time around 1988.

Thanks for all the input I'm copying and pasting as we speak and going to give them a try on my students.

Thanks again..

One more thing...

I use Jepps, and I had no idea what are those dashed rings around airports on NOS Charts that say" Feeder and Enroute Facilities"

Senna,

The facilities rings are not to scale, and are just used to give a general representation as to where feeder facilities and enroute facilities are in relation to the proceedure. It's just a reference, and facilities associated with the proceedure that would be too far out to be charted, are placed on these rings. Thus, a VOR that serves to feed a NoPt route to the IAF might be 50 miles away. Too far too chart. But it's northeast, and that's where it will appear on the feder facilities ring. For a better picture, you need to also refer to the low altitude enrotue chart.

A side note, don't mix jepp low altitude enroute and government plates, if you can help it. It can be done, but it can also lead to some confusion.

required reports

I think all examiners have their pet topics. My examiner's favorite question was regarding required reports and when the pilot must report to ATC. He sat back like a quiet kitty while i rattled off everything I had learned in ground school and from independent study, then viciously pounced as soon as i finished spewing information. It became clear to me that I was not his first victim as he opened his FAR/AIM to highlighted passages in both the FAR and AIM sections. I was in such a state of shock I'm sure I didn't comprehend everything in his tirade. The gist of it was...there is a difference between "should," "shall," and "must." Jeppesen, ASA, etc., ambiguously teach required reports as a must, using both "must" and "should." In reality, the 10 or so "required reports" are actually not required and you may make these reports only if you feel like it. The required required reports are only three and are listed in 91.183. AIM 5-3-3 lists required reports and as we all know, the AIM is not regulatory.
In the end, I passed the exam, but I was a mess by the end. I didn't really understand why he made such a fuss about something like that. :)

Latest resources

Back