INOP regs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

troy

I have a question. I fly a C-172RG here at the flight school. The #1 nav went inop not too long ago (uses an HSI), and is placered IAW 91.213. Is the HSI, coupled with the GPS considered inop also? It seems to work (The HSI and GPS). When the HSI is selected to the #1 Nav, that is when the flag appears.

It would only be INOP when NAV 1 is selected and as such should be placarded as such. I assume this is a Bendix panel?

I can't remember what is in it, has had a retro-fit.

What is in the new Skyhawks? That is what it is. (Guess I should pay closer attention)

Troy,

You didn't specify what your #1 navigation source is, but presumably it's VHF navigation. In any case, the HSI and source of input signals (NAV #1, for example) are separate. The HSI is a display; it shows you in graphic form what to do with the electronic signals received at the nav antenna. It is not the nav, nor does it receive or process the signals. It's nothing more than something to look at, which tells you what the #1 nav has to say.

If the #1 nav goes bad, it doesn't mean the HSI is bad. However, how do you know? Unless you have had an avionics tech determine that the nav is definitely the source of the problem, and that it won't interfere with other inputs, then you have a problem. Placarding it doesn't make that problem go away.

Suppose you have an intermittant instrument error, or an intermittant ground or short?

Assume that a proper determination has been made that the HSI is functional, and that the problem is the #1 NAV. In addition to being placarded, the #1 nav must be deactivated, or removed. It's possible for circuitry, even if turned off, to cause interference problems. Again, a determination must be made by competent authority as to what extent of deactivation or removal is necessary. Further, a determination must be made as to what impact this has on the installation, and the functionality of the remaining nav systems. If both systems are tied into the same pin connector at the HSI, and the pin connector must be removed, obviously both can't be used.

The potential exists for short in the GPS selector switch. In fact, a great many possibilities exist, none of which can be addressed by the pilot. Each must be addressed by an avionics technician.

In theory the GPS and VHF nav inputs are isolated from one another. For day VFR training operations, it really doesn't matter. However, in the real world, it does, and that determination should be made before attempting any reliance on any of the attached systems. Sometimes the facts aren't obvious.

That's how I viewed it. The Nav is just placarded "#1 Nav Inop". It should be deactivated, but is still active for use of the #1 Comm radio (the inop portion is in fact the VHF radio). If I were in the soup, I would probably use #2 and use the GPS as a situational awareness item. Thanks.

As Avbug has suggested, before I would go into IMC I'd have the exact cause of the problem isolated, and the offending component deactivated. I like at least one nav receiver to backup the GPS, but I prefer two for safety.

Latest resources

Back