India DGCA hurdles

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

El Piloto Chido

Anyone have info on what kind of DGCA hurdles a typed captain could expect when joining an Indian carrier? I've read alot about entry level FOs and all the exams and paperwork they go through, but what about say, an FAA (ICAO) lic captain with ATR or Airbus type and >500 PIC?

In addition to the security clearance, are their:

written exams?
lengthy conversion process?
flight phys, is the FAA class 1 accepted?
(if not, how is the Indian physical by comparison?)

also, do the agencies (Aeropersonnel, ect) help with the paperwork, or is it best to apply directly to the airline?

I realize I threw alot out there, but any info would be most appreciated.

Thanks

If you are going in as a capt with over 500 pic in type, there's not much bs you need to deal with. Just an interview with the DGCA to validate your license. If you are an expat there, you don't have to convert your US certs....no exams to take, just a regs test. Should be fairly straight...if you need anymore info abt India or the DGCA pm me or you can call me at 856-294-7804.

India DGCA. Now there is a model of efficiency and speed :)

What is a DGCA hurdle?

DGCA = Directorate General of Civil Aviation. The Indian equivalent of the FAA except that the DGCA is still in the stone age.

A coworker of mine just got hired by JetAirways out there.

@ the job fair, he mentioned the airline saying that just the work visa alone takes 5 to 8 months? So they have guys that were hired back in March still sitting around waiting to go...?....he is also a Norweigen citizen, but has been in the US for 25+ years.....Does the work visa really take that long?....

If so thats not really helping the pilot situation in India much........

Okay bruthas, I found this on PPRUNE regarding JET AIRWAYS in India. Can any of My Fellow American expats vouch for this?!...

"Hi Guys,
Whatever your experience is, Capt/FO or TRI/TRE, 1500h or 15000h; B777 or B737 it can last forever to join Jet. The big mistake is to resign from a job before you get in ...PHYSICALLY!: contract+invitation letter+security clearance+visa (which can take several months even years ! )+ ticket then take unpaid leave or holidays because everything may change. The contract is submit to authorities approvals so if a paper, a visa or anything missing...no job.
. In fact it's perfect if you're 60 and retired with money then you can extend at least up to 63 even 65 on B737 or if you don't need a job to feed your family . But if you need to work take care!
Interview is fine, everything is simple, life is fantastic...promises!
They give you a date to join , you trust and you give your resign according to your notice period because you're a good guy. Up to this point everything is fine: you have the contract and the invitation letter, simple formalities for the embassy!
Then you go with your papers to the embassy for the visa and then.....good luck.
No assistance from jet Airways will be provided but people are nice, they understand your situation, they send you nice emails but ...nothing.
According to the email it will be solved shortly....... but shortly can be several months: 6,7 8 and even more. But in the mean time you have resigned without job anymore so you wait or you try to work on request with your previous employer or someone else with no insurance that your case will be solved or GO AROUND!
So be patient: it will come when it comes!
It is a great opportunity but a real problem to join and difficult to trust what is said during the interview, keep in mind that in India Yes can mean Yes but No as well! Good luck!
boohoo.gif
."

...sounds like a great big pain in the hindquarters.

Latest resources

Back