• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Inconsistencies in Aviation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This was originally about the AEPS scholarship - I've copied the original posting below...no mention about women or men...

A.E.P.S. College Tuition Scholarship

A.E.P.S., Aviation Employee Placement Services, is offering a four-year tuition paid scholarship to a graduating high school senior who is pursuing a bachelor’s degree in any aviation field. Applicants must be a high school senior or graduate working to save money for college. Scholarship will include tuition for four years at an accredited college or university approved by the A.E.P.S. Scholarship committee. It will not include flight fees; however, the applicant may be a flight major. Financial need must be addressed in the essay. Recipient must maintain a GPA of 3.0 (4.0) or higher in order to renew scholarship the following year. (Scholarship value–up to $15,000 per year)

Revese discrimination

I have no doubt that there are countless cases of discrimination towards white males. It seems abundantly clear, however, that this is not one of those situations. No white males applied for the scholarship! In this case, the people who wanted the scholarship took the initiative, applied, and one was rewarded for it. What is unfair about this? In my opinion, no one is entitled to a scholarship. Some people get them, based on merit and/or need, some don't. I remeber being jealous of my friends in college who had major airline captain dads, or CFI brothers. I thought it wasn't fair. Maybe it wasn't, but it really doesn't matter. Jealousy didn't help me obtain anything. The only thing it would have done, I imagine, is made me feel justified if I had failed. Take responsibility for your success.

I hear you. I've seen plenty that I could be "jealous" about.

My point was that the word "scholarship" now bears no resemblence to its original meaning. I think it was reasonable, even if not correct, to make a guess that WIA was providing money to the "W" in WIA. I would aslo imagine that a program run by the Gay Pilots Association would exclude straight men, so I have not writtten to them about a scholarship, either.

Certainly this is a learning experience about the danger of "assuming", and I will be on that WIA program like a cheap suit. Do you think that I can write an essay? Yer dern tootin'....

Great Post

Hey Timebuilder great post.

I to had to put myself through college. First our lovely president at the time Clinton. He raised the age to 23 for your parents to be responsible for you. Unless you were married. So I couldn't get any $$$$$. Then I was working full-time and made to much according to the government. But hey my classes were full of welfare breeders going for free on my tax $$$$$ among everybody elses money. And yet they would repeat the class over again because they were to lazy to show up or study. So guess what while I was paying for me and them to go. I got to do pay it all over again for them and other lazy creatures out there to go. Which is good that they are trying to go to school and better themselves. But not showing up or passing is that really trying to better themselves.

http://www.wiai.org/

The opening page <above link> is one of the most obnoxious I've seen in recent times. I realize it is a "womans" organization, but one doesn't even need to FOCUS at the screen... you'd still be able to make out WOMEN WOMEN WOMEN .... almost every other word.

Hmm... perhaps men would join WIA just to qualify to have a shot at the scholarship. Being a member IS a requirement.

Submission Requirements

Each applicant must be a WAI member and may apply for no more than two scholarships. These requirements are in addition to all stated specifications in individual listings.

All applications must include five (5) stapled sets (NO FOLDERS) of the following information:

application form
three one-page recommendation letters
typed, descriptive 500-word essay
resume
copies of all aviation licenses and medical certificates and last three pages of your pilot logbook, if applicable
Descriptive essay or resume should address the following:

your aviation history and goals
what you have done for yourself to achieve your goals–where you see yourself in five and ten years
how the scholarship will help you achieve your objective and your present financial need
flight or other training/education for which you need assistance; how your previous training was financed; educational scholarships, awards and honors; where you would obtain the training and the hourly rate for the instructor, aircraft, and simulators, or other costs, if applying for cash scholarship
demonstrated involvement in aviation activities
other applicable information as requested for specific awards/ grants/scholarships
International applicants must meet the above requirements. In addition, you must include your country’s pilot, mechanic or other requirements and the equivalent copies of licenses and medicals.

Selection Factors

Achievements
Attitude toward self and others
Commitment to success
Dedication to career
Financial need
Motivation
Reliability
Responsibility
Teamwork
Download the Official Scholarship Application (pdf)

Applications must be mailed to:

Women in Aviation, International Scholarship
P.O. Box 11287
Daytona Beach, FL 32120-1287

Latest resources

Back