• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Incident question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So much differing advice. You can pick whichever makes you sleep better or makes you a neurotic worrywart.

HOURBUILDER: You want my advice? Your time would be better spent filling out a NASA form, an ASAP form, and calling your ALPA rep.

701EV and Goggles write words of wisdom.

You should be OK, unless the Rampers make up a different story. ALPA will help you by ensuring the camera tapes don't get erased or lost (funny how that happens sometimes). Also, of the Company says "don't worry," don't believe them. Sometimes the Company self discloses on the crew - throwing them right under the bus. Usually the FAA protects the party that self disclosed first.

Never, ever, forget:

There are two Certificates on the line every time the airplane moves; Yours and the Company's. The Company will do whatever it takes to protect theirs and it is up to You, alone, to protect Yours.

This applies to everything you do in an airplane, not just this instance.

If you damage the wing while beeing parked by marshalls because the marshalls screwed up, what is the level of the responsability of the pilot in this scenario.
In this scenario it was totally the error of both the marshallers and wingwalkers which never told us to stop the aircraft?
He parked us at the stop line for a 757 instead of stoping us prior to the CRJ line stop.

As long as you had ground crew in place per FOM and you were watching the marshaller, you will be fine. I don't know why guys are trying to get you worked up.

As long as you had ground crew in place per FOM and you were watching the marshaller, you will be fine. I don't know why guys are trying to get you worked up.

We speak from experience. I am on airline #3, type-rating #6. This incident will probably be nothing more than paperwork. But what is the harm in filling out a bit more paperwork and cashing in some of the dues money you've been paying for all these years?

You never know.

We speak from experience. I am on airline #3, type-rating #6. This incident will probably be nothing more than paperwork. But what is the harm in filling out a bit more paperwork and cashing in some of the dues money you've been paying for all these years?

You never know.

No i totally agree with you, for sure, fill out the "cover your A" paperwork. Sorry I thought that was a given when anything weird happens.

But after the paper work is filled out he will never hear anything else about it.

If you damage the wing while beeing parked by marshalls because the marshalls screwed up, what is the level of the responsability of the pilot in this scenario.
In this scenario it was totally the error of both the marshallers and wingwalkers which never told us to stop the aircraft?
He parked us at the stop line for a 757 instead of stoping us prior to the CRJ line stop.

Had the EXACT thing happen to me when I was at the commuters. The friendly FAA tried to get me on a careless and reckless, even though the aircraft was barely moving (coming to a stop). I got an aviation attorney, who took my 4 page writeup of the incident, condensed it to two short paragraphs. I still got a two year warning because the FAA can give those out like candy.

This is after the marshaller and wing walker said they screwed up and there was no way for the flight crew to see the object that they hit. (it was moved into the safety zone after the flight cleared the zone and after we had taxiied by. In other words, it was moved out of our sight.

Remember, the FAA is rarely your friend.

Bottom line is don't ever trust a marshaller in tight quarters.

Latest resources

Back