• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Identifying planes in the air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Get into birdwatching, same principle's apply. I can tell what kind of airplane is going overhead just by the sound of the engine. I can tell you what kind of prop and the type of engine,all by the sound. You will too once you pay attention to detail. Keep in mind I knew the names of every airplane and could indentify it when I was 8 years old. I couldn't play baseball because I would stand out in the outfield and name all the airplanes as they came over, distracting all the players. Coach would get really ppeeed off.

There's no substitute for getting to know each airplane and it's characteristics. However, for basic recognition on when seen in the field, especially at a distance, start with the basic shape of the fuselage, shape of the vertical stab, wing planform, and number of engines. Each airplane is reasonably distinctive.

The altitude, way it flies, etc, may be good clues. In some cases, color may be a giveaway (if it's in southwest colors, it's a 737, for example).

Pick up magazines, read everything you can, and make a game out of identifying everything you can.

Identification is important in flight. It's far too easy to say "I've got the traffic." You need to be able to positively identify what it is that you're looking at, whenever possible. (Sometimes it's not). If you spot an airplane in the general vicinity of where traffic might be expected, it's too easy to decide that you've found what you're after. You may be looking at a completely different airplane; you need to be able to recognize the type.

Knowing aircraft types also lets you know what to expect from performance with the other aircraft. You may get a general idea of the other aircraft's expected speed, rate of climb, capabilities, etc. Time spent with aircraft recognition isn't wasted; it's necessary for safety.

the big picture

It's really more of a hobby than critical to flight safety.

1. If it has noisy jet engines; it goes fast.

2. If it is big and has two or more props, it goes a little slower than #1.

3. If it has a bear on it, it's painted yellow, and you can see the color of the eyes of the pilot; it's going a lot slower ! :)

It is a good idea to have a general knowalege, that way you can pick out what you're supposed to be following; but if plane guessing is not your bag; don't sweat it.

Keep in mind, the big guys are going to be less than 200 knots, if your following them for a landing; and usually around 120 on final (yes, there are some that go faster)

I love flying, have my personal favorites, and love planes, but knowing what series a boeing model is seems like trivia to me.

Line service anyone......

I will go ahead and throw in my two cents to this conversation, before I started working Line Service at a BIG airport, I couldn't tell the difference between a 172 and a 182. I even thought that since one of the C-172's I was learning to fly was N172YA, and the other was N173YA, that surely N173YA was a C-173!! But after working Line Service for 4.5 years, not only can I tell you just about EVERY ga airplane type, bizjet type, heavy type, in addition to all DOD planes, I can also tell you how to fuel them, oil them, and/or service their deadly crapper! Like everyone has said before, engross yourself in aviation, you will learn things over time. I think working Line Service was without a doubt one of the most valuable experience I, or any other pilot can do, especially at a young age. It also teaches you some humility, so one day, when I'm flying a Turbine Commander 690, and I want it topped off, and then when it's taking longer than I FEEL it should, I'll look back and say, "you know, it took a while to fuel those, maybe I should just keep my cool." That's my opinion:)

Latest resources

Back