• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Would you land on a freeway?

• Never

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Of couse, big long strip of pavement with no houses or buildings on it

Votes: 115 75.7%
  • No way to decide, always other factors to consider (This is the cop-out answer)

Votes: 31 20.4%

• Total voters
Even if the 1 in 5 is a myth, then why are certain sections of interstate in Penn. extra thick? My dad helped pave several miles on both sides of the state and the construction company and there are sections that long, wide, straight, and heavily reinforced, and those are not where the interstate plowed through former airports (like Indiana).

Imponderable for the night. . .

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Interesting question. My vote was that I'd do it but I've been influenced.

One of my first flight instructors (now flying in the military) was on one of his first flights ever as a teen-ager when the engine quit and his CFI put it down on a major highway. CFI was arrested for lord knows what ridiculous reason, blocking traffic with an airplane maybe???

Second, I spent some time at the Air Force museum out in Dayton last year and had the opportunity to spend the afternoon with a former B-25 pilot and still active CFI(in his 80's). Told me that after the war on a trip to Pennsylvania from Massachusetts he was a little lost so after spying a gas station on a country road down below he brought it around, landed, and taxied up to ask for directions. No problem.

I wouldn't ever land in any of these areas with a good working engine(s) but in an emergency they sound like great places to safely put the plane on the ground as long as one dodges cars, lights, billboards, etc.

Again, nice topic.

Mr. I.

Piper had to land gear up on a highway in Florida a few years back when they were certifying the Meridian. If I remember correctly, they ran out of gas. Guess they found out exactly how much usable fuel is on board for the specs.

There was little damage and Piper ended up selling the plane once it was certified.

172driver said:
How about planning your flight so as to not run out of gas? Flying an altitude giving you more choices than a freeway?
Setting up the glide to not have to hit a pole?
!

Assuming you're not trying to be funny, I'd have to say this is a pretty useless reply. Engines quit, people screw up, pilots make forced landings.

Would I land on an Interstate? You're d@mn right I would - if the conditions were right (cop out answer). If there was a service road along side it, that would be even better. Most of the smaller rural roads have power lines and telephone wires strung across and beside them. Interstates usually don't have as many. Just go with the traffic and set it down. If you can, make a low apch (above the cars), faster than traffic, slowing to land allowing the traffic you just passed over to slow and not run over you. Leave enough ground speed to roll out of the way of traffic.

Another reason to take an Interstate is if you botch the landing, at least someone will probably see you or find you quicker. Smacking a fence line or tree in a field just behind trees or hill alongside the highway doesn't do much for this one.

I just flew a Cub from Idaho to Houston. I never ran out of gas, but I sure followed the roads. This was for a couple of reasons - I didn't want to freeze my @ss off if I had to land in the mountains and spend the night nor did I want to try and dodge the gulleys and rocks landing my new plane.

I-70

I was reading through some old posts, and noticed this one. As for the Eisenhower Interstate myth, I live right next to I-70 in KS, and have flown out of SLN for around 4 years, and can assure you that it's not a myth. Now it may not be for all highways, but I've always been told it was for I-70 ONLY. This is because at the same time they were laying I-70, they were building SLN, formerly Schilling AFB, and they wanted the B-52's based there to have some alternatives. I've been told, by guys flying out of SLN for like 30 years, that for every 10 miles of interstate I-70 in KS, that approximately 2 miles are straight for this very reason. Having flown up and down I-70 on X/C's for around 2 years instructing, I must concur, it seems feasibly based on the miles of highway I've seen.

Hello,
Hey they said the same thing about the Eisenhower highway philosphy on a "Cracker Barrel" restaraunt commercial, so it's gotta be true!
Also, this a common occurance in Europe, particularly in Sweden that operates annually from highways with their Viggen fighter. The Swiss, Austrians and RAF, and other countries routinely utilize highways to conduct exercises using remote strips (highways).

Regards,

ex-Navy rotorhead

In Israel as well there are designated sections of highway for emergency airplane use. I think I remember some kind of notation on the WAC charts as well, but my memory might be playing tricks on me.

Don't forget the German autobahn system. There are numerous "autobahn landing strips" throughout the country. There are many with barrier housings to allow them to set up cables across the autobahn for arrested landings.

Latest resources

Back