I need info:training of a pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

lizziehahn11

Can anyone tell me what the process of becoming a pilot is such as the medicals the tests.... ?

How long does someone stay in the process?

Where would someone go to learn the training?

Does it cost any money to go to a school if it does then about how much?

How much experience is needed to get nto a career of piloting?

Which would be better going to the millitary or a school?

Can you tell me some of the different jobs for a pilot?

What is the average income pay for a beginner pilot and an experienced pilot?

Is it a safe job in your opinion if you can tell me do you know the death rates of peop;e in accidents?

Would you say there are more men pilots then women or vice versa?

I would appreciate it very much if you would anwser as many of these questions as you can. I need the information for my project on Becoming a Pilot.

Thanks for the info!!!!

:D

lizziehahn11 said:
Can anyone tell me what the process of becoming a pilot is such as the medicals the tests.... ?
You will need a first class medical if you're serious about it. I would recommend getting one now, just so there aren't any surprises if you don't qualify for one.

In a nutshell, you'll need to a) learn, b) instruct, c) regional, d) major. There are different paths you can take, but that one is the "vanilla" way of going about it.

Some choose to fly night freight instead of instructing. But, the best way to master a subject is to learn how to teach it. So I'd suggest instructing.

How long does someone stay in the process?

Depends really. How much time and money do you have? How quick do you learn? A ball-park is maybe 1/1.5 yr learning, 1-2 yr instructing, 3-5 yr regional. And, that's being pretty optimistic. Expect things to pop up (like furloughs) that will interrupt your training

Where would someone go to learn the training?

Local FBO would be a good start. If you don't know where one is, then search the web. www.avweb.com is a good start. www.studentpilot.net may be of assistance as well.

Does it cost any money to go to a school if it does then about how much?

Expect to drop $30-40k for your training. And then, expect to work at near minimum wage while you instruct and fly for a regional. But, regional wages are going up, so it might not be so bad when you get to that stage.

How much experience is needed to get nto a career of piloting?

Depends what you want to do. If you're looking towards the majors, you'll need about 3000-5000 hours. That will take a while. Regionals will pick you up after 1000 usually.

Which would be better going to the millitary or a school?

Depends on what you want. If you want to serve your country, then by all means take the military route. But, if you aren't interested in being a soldier and fighting in war, then I wouldn't recommend using them just to learn to fly. Chances are, if you don't WAN'T to be in the military, then you probably won't make it. Military aviation is very competitive. You have to want it to get through.

Can you tell me some of the different jobs for a pilot?

There is pleanty. Career instruction, life-time regional pilot, major airline pilot, corporate pilot just to name a few.

What is the average income pay for a beginner pilot and an experienced pilot?

Don't expect to see much more than 30k/yr until you're 2nd or 3rd year at a regional. Like I said above, that may go up. But, I wouldn't necessarily count on it. Senior regional pilots can make in the 100k range with very flexible schedules. Major and corporate pilot pay ranges between 50k and 250k.

Is it a safe job in your opinion if you can tell me do you know the death rates of peop;e in accidents?

It's as safe as you make it. If you're dilligent, pay attention to detail, and in general know what you're doing, you should be fine. It's a relatively safe profession. Even though it isn't really percieved that way. You'll see what I mean when you look at life insurance rates.

Would you say there are more men pilots then women or vice versa?

Yep, more men for sure.

I would appreciate it very much if you would anwser as many of these questions as you can. I need the information for my project on Becoming a Pilot.

It's a difficult profession. It takes a significant amount of work to become established in this field. But, it is for sure very rewarding.

Good luck. :)

Also, let me add that www.jetcareers.com is written by a Delta pilot, and it answers many of your questions. It includes detailed accounts of how he got where he is, and more information on the life style of a major airline pilot.

It's a recommended read if you're interested in the field, or if you're doing research. :D

I tried the jetcareers website a few years ago. I wrote to the guy, I think his name was Doug, and I got no responses to several emails.

Lizzie,

Check out http://www.wiai.org/

This is the website for Women In Aviation International. They provide resources for women seeking a career in aviation in addition to other functions. Membership is open to all.

Good luck!
Mike

Latest resources

Back