Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I find that type of attitude a sad premonition for the future of your merger with XJT

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Nevets

7 March 2012

David and Dennis,

First and most important I would like to thank you for giving Crewing Solutions an opportunity to demonstrate and educate you on SmartPref as a different approach to solving the PBS dilemma that faces crews everywhere. We wish you the best in your continued use of Flightline PBS for the ASA side of ExpressJet and as a retired pilot who bid with PBS, I do in truth hope you can achieve the best possible schedules for each and every one of your pilots every month. That is what we are all about at Crewing Solutions, as we feel SmartPref gives more pilots than any other PBS on the market that chance or opportunity month in month out. I hope you can say the same for Flightline after the JCBA gets ratified.

Secondly and now speaking as one ALPA pilot to another ALPA pilot and not as a salesman for SmartPref, I’d like to address a professional aspect that seems to be lacking from your group. As you are aware in late September and early October 2011, we offered to bring the ASA side up to speed on SmartPref to get you on equal footing with the XJT side. It was not until just before Christmas that Dennis finally contacted me with the desire to now become more informed about SmartPref. We had already delved deep into customizing SmartPref for the XJT relief line project and had not heard from nor received even one email from ASA for that 9-10 week span. So my team was skeptical at the outset as to why we were to spend time and effort with ASA as it was evident you were very against SmartPref anyway.

I convinced my team that it would be in our best interests to bring the ASA side up to speed, give you all the tools and environments the XJT side had with the hope that you would ultimately understand the many advantages of SmartPref. Consequently we spent countless hours, days and weeks working with you to do just that. The problem arose however that your PBS committee was consumed in continually trying to compare Flightline to SmartPref and to mold SmartPref to award like Flightline, which is really apples and oranges. This along with not understanding SmartPref globalization sidetracked the process. It also actually blocked them from realizing the ultimate benefits of SmartPref when used in real time live environment where globalization will begin to decrease.
We then were put on a very short timetable that no PBS company would have accepted but we did so for ASA unconditionally, still assuming you were seriously considering SmartPref. That as we now discover was a flawed assumption on my part and far from the real truth. When we recently learned the ASA PBS committee was upset because our very respected and successful founder, Chris Boegner had to depart early on the second day of his seminar with the two PBS committees (Feb. 27 -28 in California), it all became very clear and their true colors surfaced. We all know his spending another 4 hours with them was never going to change their position about SmartPref as their minds had been made up since the very beginning.

As a consequence and again pilot to pilot I feel very much deceived, taken advantage of and hoodwinked to say the least. This is only further confirmed because as of this date we at Crewing Solutions have yet to hear from your side what your decision was regarding SmartPref. We learned of it through the XJT side.

To put it in further perspective, as a captain for 26 years at PEX and CAL when it was your leg I expected you to fly the aircraft the way you like to fly it within the SOPs but using your techniques and the tools the way you best desire to fly a safe and efficient aircraft. But there were those few pilots over the years that always thought they had all the answers, even when they botched an approach and landing they would never admit it. But the worst ingredient of those who had that persona was they also would never compliment the other pilot in any way or fashion. Even a “hey, nice landing” was never uttered from this type pilot.

Hence, despite our different PBS systems, it would have been polite to receive the professional courtesy of a “thank you for your efforts, but we’ve decided to remain with Flightline.” Just that little touch would have made our time with you seem worth our while and this letter unnecessary. It appears however we had been flying with the latter type of pilot as mentioned above. Honestly, I find that type of attitude a sad premonition for the future of your merger with XJT, but nonetheless wish you well as you go forward. Fly Safe.

Fraternally,

Steve “Gyro” Jaros
Captain, ALPA retired #0830471

The airline formally known as ASA's union is very professional.

The CRJ MEC puts their fingers in their ears for two and a half months. After being unable to just sweep this under the rug, they decide to finally become more informed about smartpref. Why does it take so long to decide to get informed unless there was no open mindedness and the decision to not even consider anything other than flightline had already been made?

Then they couldn't even be open minded enough to look at the end result and see if it was as good or better than flightline. Instead they wanted smartpref to do it like flightline because they have some preconceived idea of seniority and globalization that they cannot get past.

Then they gave crewing solutions an unrealistic and unnecessary timeline to set them up for failure. That was later made known when these guys got butthurt that the founder of the company couldn't be there to listen in on the briefing that his software engineers were giving them. It was just an excuse to further their preconceived decision against smartpref. And to pacify them, he met with them for four hours yet that didn't relieve their burthurtedness.

To top it off, they were not even professional enough to say, "thanks but no thanks." To their defense, it probably didn't occur to them to have that bit if professional courtesy since that had made up their minds months prior.

Its very telling when a third party gives his stark opinion on the success of our merging pilots when dealing with the CRJ MEC.

Last edited:
This guy couldn't even write a professional letter, and he's offended that ASA would not buy into his software? Good riddance.

You are missing the broader point. Your guys won't even give a fair entertainment of anything other than flightline. I've asked before, which MEC is being more open minded and reasonable? Your MEC has NOT run any mock bids or trial runs using your parings on smartpref! How are they doing their due diligence on behalf of you guys? They are being derelict on their duties and you guys don't even know it. How can they inform you when they don't even inform themselves!

Again.. Whatever.

We like our system for bidding. Why waste negotiating capital to fix what isn't broke?

So the Competition states their feelings are hurt and are pissed they are not getting support from the CRJ side. You post what appears to be a confidential letter, which does nothing more than divide this pilot group. Good job.

Latest resources

Back