I feel lik Forrest Gump

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

F.Gump

Anyone else feel this way or captains who have seen this....

Ive been online now for about a year and I feel like Forest Gump when I fly. I am making stupid mistakes (not dangerous), stuff like not setting the A/P msp to appr when cleared for a twenty mile straight in. I know I should know better and I try to do my best.

Should I pack it in or is this normal?

Gump

Procedures

I'd say that it helps to understand how individual procedures fit in with the big picture of your flight profile. I realize that sounds hackneyed, but maybe you've rote-memorized everything and may not understand fully why you must do a particular thing at a particular time.

Is this a first 121 job for you? Even though you've been flying the line for a while, sometime it takes a while for all the concepts to really sink in. Hang in there. Be sure you understand fully what you're doing. Give it time and you'll be fine.

Good luck with your flying.

Last edited:
Hey buddy, I got news for you.

I flown with 2000 hr pilots and 20000 hr pilots, they all make dumb mistakes, me included.

What you need to do is just learn from them, thats the whole idea of gaining experience.

What you want to try to avoid is not making mistakes that your going to get into trouble; hurting people (safety), bending airplanes, FAR's.

ALL pilots have made mistakes, and ALL of us will make more.

If you know your short comings, work on them everyday.

Dear Forrest,
I have flown with twenty year test pilots, astronauts, civ/military and everything in between. EVERY one of them made mistakes. A couple of big ones two. So I never feel bad when I forget something, that's why we use checklists.

Here's some gouge. My airline relies on what we call triggers. Things must happen in a specific order. Example...The captain calls engine rollback after the last engine start is complete. That prompts the FO to do the after start checklist. When the FO announces after start checklist complete, the captain calls for flaps. That tells the FO to call for taxi, etc.

Therefore, if the FO doesn't hear "engine rollback", The airplane shouldn't move. It works great for us. A checklist of course always follows.

So what can you do to creat a "trigger" for yourself? DME, altitude, passing though a speed, captain calls for...

You'll figure it out.

BROTHER, WHEN YOU DON'T MAKE MISTAKES ANY MORE. GET OUT OF THIS BUISNESS. YOUR TIME IS COMING TO AN END.

DON'T GET YOUR BOXERS ROLL UP OVER A FOPAH. IF THE SKIPPER WANTS TO MAKE AN ISSUE OF SOMETHING IT'S MORE THAT LIKLEY THAT IT WAS SOMETHING LIKE A MISTAKE THAT HE/SHE MADE ONCE AND IT HURTS.

BE COOL AND KEEP IT UP.
IT'S ALL GOOD

Latest resources

Back