How to get a CFI job?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

nubi78

Should you walk in or is it inappropriate to call to see if they have any jobs before driving 90 miles or so to the airport?

Or, should you send out a resume and not bug them with a telephone call or taking their time up in person?

If they say they don't have any jobs, how often to go you back and check on them?

I would not recommend driving 90 miles to a CFI job. Are you thinking of relocating? Or, is an airport closer to you? It is harded to say no to a person then a phone call or fax. Get a bunch of copies of your resume and blanket the airports. Also, walk around the hangers and talk to people. I met an old guy who flew corporate and needed someone to fly his Baron a couple of hours a week. He checked me out in it and then gave me the keys. If I hadn't been "hanger flying" I would have never met the guy. I was also offered a job but declined in favor of the airlines. Hit the pavement and start meeting people!!

If you are really considering working for the school 90 miles away, you should probably drive down there to check out the operation. An hour and a half drive is a small price to pay for a flying job, if you plan on relocating. Additionally, face-time with the boss can't hurt. I drove from Alanta to Chapel Hill, NC to check out a CFI job once. It was worth it.

Getting the CFI Job 101

This is a very short course. Print up tons of resumes. Apply first to your school (you should have started that process before completing your CFI). Then wallpaper the universe with your materials. FBOs, flying clubs, and especially schools. Of course, a cover letter addressed by name to the Chief Instructor and/or H.R. person should accompany your resume. Research schools, FBOs and clubs that are within driving distance, reasonable and otherwise, and cold call. You would make sure the places are still in business before driving.

I found this website that lists a ton of schools: http://www.narrows.com/aviation/fltschools.htm

Of course, no guarantee the info is up-to-date.

Something I did back in the stone age days before internet was apply to flight schools which advertise in pilot magazines. I got my job at MAPD and indirectly learned of ATCA, the Lufthansa school, via magazine ads. I figured that if a school is training students it needs instructors. I eventually interviewed at both places, was offered a job at ATCA, and took a job at Mesa. I would not have known that Mesa had a school if it hadn't advertised.

Good luck with your job search.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back