How much did you pay to carry jepps?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

OCP

People seem to argue that the company should pay for iPads. They should. But how much did you pay to carry those paper jepps around? Would you have rather spent that on an iPad?

I didn't pay for mine. Didn't pay a dime.

But I do plan on buying some clever, stupid stickers for my Ipad cover.... I refuse, however, to pay for something that requires me to my job. I'll just start throwing out the charts from my jepp books that I never use once I can't fit another page in without it exploding. But I will never, NEEEEEVER pay for an Ipad so I can do my job. I'm sick of all the crap we already have to pay for.

Last edited:
Mesa isn't making anyone pay for iPads. It's Optional

What kind of headset do you use ?

What kind of suitcase did you buy ? The $ 300 metal frame one ?

Didn't you buy some pilot shirts for work ?

Don't be a hypocrite. Ever job has work expenses. Imagine driving 4 hours rountrip ever day for work. People do it. It's called life. Expenses are all part of it ....

People seem to argue that the company should pay for iPads. They should. But how much did you pay to carry those paper jepps around? Would you have rather spent that on an iPad?

I spent $90 for my kit bag which has lasted 7+ years. I'm not interested in paying for a mandatory EFB, especially if it is locked down like the iPads at UAL. If they want control of the device they need to pay for it like any corporate laptop.

However, since I own a personal iPad I would absolutely elect to use that in place of paper charts if given the option. If if makes enough sense for the company to go all EFB with no paper chart option, that is up to them to purchase.

Quit your crying. An iPad is cheap. I'm sure the super heavy 30lb flight bag of manuals is cheap. Do any of you have any idea what MX spends on tools to do their job? Didn't think so. And you will never hear a mechanic crying about it. Just so you know... It is several thousands of dollars. Some spend more on a tool box than they do on a car.

Last edited:
Your toolbox is our training... Except our training was a lot more expensive than yours. I know pilots who have student loans that are more than the mortgage on my house.

But back on topic. I sure as shlt am not trading anything in my contract for iPads. They are coming anyway... Just look at the rest of the industry. Call your reps and tell them the company can stick them where the sun doesn't shine if they're tied to contract negotiations. Call the company's bluff.

So why should they pay for iPads?

They pay for the jepps. I paid for a bag to carry the jepps. They will pay for the iPad because those are the new jepps. I will pay for a bag to carry the iPad.

From now on, just think of the iPad as a company issued binder.

Last edited:
They pay for the jepps. I paid for a bag to carry the jepps. They will pay for the iPad because those are the new jepps. I will pay for a bag to carry the iPad.

From now on, just think of the iPad as a company issued binder.

TOTALLY flawed thought, in my opinion. The JEPP SUBSCRIPTION is still being paid for by the company (whether it be paper or digital). It is the binder (or Ipad in its place) that the pilot chooses to provide. If the pilot doesn't want to pay for the conveniences that the ipad offers (one-click revisions, lighter kit bag etc) then they can opt for the free binders and paper charts. But many might consider the ipad option worth the relatively minor expense (similar in price to a moderately priced headset).

I like to think of it as similar to those who opt to buy their own headset rather than using the company-provided headsets that are stocked on the airplane.

Another point - how much is your time worth? At my employer, I CAN'T bill the company for the 20-30 minutes two times a month that I spend updating my jepp charts. Does your company pay you for that time? Mine does not. However, with the ipad it takes literally 5 seconds to press the "UPDATE" button.

I was a holdout at first, but it has turned out to be one of (if not THE) best equipment investments I've made in this career.

Latest resources

Back