How many overnights???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SGL

Just curious how many overnights per month is typical for corporate pilots? What kind of flying is best for someone who doesn't want to spend 2 weeks a month in a hotel room?

How many overnights is typical per month???
remember, you are not asking about an AIRLINE job..
no really, it TOTALLY varies by the job and the demand. I have gone 2-3 months without an overnight and had as many as 17 in a month (training not included...this could be up to 1 month for bigger planes)
Longest trip I have been on is 11 days.
A good corporate operator WONT leave you sitting in one hotel for a long time...if its greater than 3-4 days domestically and we push it, we can airline home and return later.... usually.....Intl, well, there you may sit a little...depends who is on baord and how firm the schedule is.
We do get "Hard days" off per month, and if anyone has an important event (wedding, etc...) they WONT miss it. BUT.........
If you are looking for a schedule, look into the ailines. Period.
Good Luck

overnights

Did 10 days all the time in the islands.

Did a 12 day in Europe (Austria)

Did a 18 day in South America (Argintina)

The company I flew for (as a corporite pilot) did alot of overnights. I had some months I was home 5 days.

I also flew for AirNet as a floater pilot and would leave home Sun afternoon and return on Fri afternoon. 5 days a week for 50 weeks=250 days/yr away from home.

I work for FSI in KCMH know and am home everyday.:D

SGL:

The above posts are good. It all depends on the job. On average the bigger the plane the longer the overnights. I had 120 overnights last year. This year with a new company I will only have half as many this year. I was unlucky enough to spend 30 days in Africa. That was really bad.

Good luck.

I would have to agree with the above posts. It all depends on the company. The company that I'm with now we average 6 overnights a month. Now that is an average. Some months it seems like your never home and other months your home every night. The last company that I was with I spent 175 nights away from home in one year. Hence my change to my current employer.

When you go for an interview that should be a question that you ask. Any good company will be able to give some idea what type of flying you will be going and how many overnights to expect.

I agree with the posts above, it really depends on the company you work for... my company we average about 6 RONs per month... I have had several months (in a row even) that I did 0 RON's... and I have had months as high as 12-13, but fortunately those are very rare....

Falcon Capt.

Not counting a mechanical situation that kept me out of town(actually out of the country) for 15 days I've done 15 overnights in the past 6 months - even with the mechanical it's only 30 in 6 months - not bad for a Challenger.

Latest resources

Back