Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How fast do you fly an instrument appch?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry about my typo.

As far as speed in a C172, 75kts. and 10 degrees of flaps makes appoache to minimums a joy ride. This makes for an easy transition to landing at minimums. Good luck.

Fast

At Taipei Sungshan ( domestic airport ) it was 320 KIAS to a 20 mile final at 4000 feet, then start slowing and be stabilized by 1000 feet. At Kaoshiung it was 320 KIAS to about a 15 mile final at 2000 feet and then start slowing. It can be done :D

In a C-172 90 KIAS is fine unless you are going to the primary airport of Class B airspace and then you might want to bump it up a bit to keep from slowing everyone else down.

That's the reason I did it that way. The controllers get to recognize your tail number, and they sure appreciate it when you can help out by making an approach that may be faster than normal for your aircraft, when required.

I flew 210 to the marker in the CRJ once, in IMC. It was pretty easy to slow down after that, and I had no problem with it. I would have gone faster, but we allready had flaps 20 in and the limitation is 215.

You know, it's kind of funny.

I used to be encouraged by approach control to speed up, and now days they keep asking me to slow down!!! :D

CHQ pilots: 250 kts to the marker, then speedbrakes, gear, flaps9...land at Vref, take the 1st exit and get to the gate before Eagle, which landed 5 minutes prior.

In a 172...

At class B airports it's definitely helpful to approach as fast as possible (130-140) I usually go 0 flap for the approach at B airports because then I dont have to worry about flap speed. About 2 miles out slowly bring the throttle back bit by bit and by the time you cross the threshold your speed should be back to normal. You can then put flaps in and land normally, or you can land 0 flap since most class B runways are planty long for a 172 (I hope so anyway)
Bottom line do what you're comfortable with, or take a knowledgeable CFI you know and trust with you to show you the ropes.

172 instrument approaches

I agree with the above. That's how my instructor basically taught it. ILS-equipped runways will have a good length, typically 5000 feet or more. So, landing no-flaps in a 172 works fine.

Most people, and the airlines, teach that you should set your final approach configuration at the OM. So, that same thought process applies perfectly to a no-flap in a 172. Should also work just fine in an Archer or Warrior, too.

By the way, the old Clinton-Sherman airport in Central Oklahoma had the perfect no-flap ILS runway. Ten-thousand feet! :D

Last edited:
It really depends on you and the operations you're conducting.
If you're a freight dog, you'll fly as fast as you can for as long as you can...I've landed so many time with "dead throttles" because I couldn't slow down.
In a pax operation you must be a lill more careful (ie. follow SOP). Although high speed approaches are the norm (ie 250 to the marker). It also depends on the airplane you;re flying...it ain't easy to slow down a jet.
As a general rule, though, especially for GA pilots wanting to go to the regionals, fly the approach as fast as you can (140 would be great).
To give you an idea: average Vapp (approach speed) in the E145 is 140 kts and average Vref (landing speed) is 130 kts.

Hi!

On the faster end of the spectrum, the fastest I've flown approaches was about 185 kts. on short final! Not a lot of time to recover from a crappy approach. Stabilized is the key!

Latest resources

Back